Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

new guy with a question

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 07:48 AM
nvrplay2ty
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new guy with a question

Hello everyone I hope one or more of you can help me with this... i have a 1996 dodge caravan, 4 cyl, auto trans. It has had a slight skip when you step on the gas while at cruising speeds thats annoying but goes aaway when you step on it. NOW I have a different issue, the 25amp motor fuse keeps blowing. its happened 3 times in the past 100 miles. it happens when i step on the gas. i replace the fuse and it runs for a while and then dies again. No error codes come up on the computer...Could it all be the coil pack? any info will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Brad
nvrplay2ty@yahoo.com

Old 01-16-2008, 12:00 PM
robert213
Default RE: new guy with a question

First, I would contact a local independent shop that subscribes to a service like...
http://www.alldata.com/
http://www.alldatadiy.com/

Then, you will have access to a factory service manual where you could find an electrical wiring diagram -- so you can trace the "25amp motor" circuit.

Of course, it is possible that insulation from wire has become worn -- exposing wire, causing a short circuit. However, this is not likely.

Tracing the "25amp motor" circuit, you can narrow down your list of item that could be overloading the circuit.

This is a pure guess. The electric fuel pump has become old and worn. Under acceleration, the demand for more fuel is over-working the pump. The old and worn pump has too much resistance -- increasing the demand for amps, thus overloading the circuit. Again, this is a pure guess.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:32 PM
racin90
Rookie

I had 3 mini vans with the same problem. All 3 wound up being the fuel pump was bad. Note-buy a dealer only pump!! Replacement pumps from part stores i have found to be not as good and dont seem to last. Good luck

Old 01-22-2008, 10:47 AM
nvrplay2ty

the fuel pump? how does that blow the motor fuse, the wiring diragram shows that on a seperate circuit

Quick Reply: new guy with a question