Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Towing a light vehicle with a minivan

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 03:55 PM
99Sport33L
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing a light vehicle with a minivan

If I had a minivan that could tow 3500 lbs or better, I’d also use it to tow a car! My 1999 Honda Civic HX weighs 2370 lbs. A car tow dolly with surge brakes would weigh 425 lbs. But my coworker said don’t tow with a FWD minivan, you should use a RWD truck or SUV instead. Does it matter? Has anyone towed a car or anything else heavy with your FWD minivan?

How are Dodge Grand Caravans at towing? I saw two of them on the highway towing Casita RVs. Will the transmission get shot early even if you have a trailer tow package?

I also couldn’t find a trailer tow package kit for my 99 Sport. Might be too much work to install a heavy duty transmission cooler. I was thinking of getting one of these coolers (OC-1677) –
http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=2&Cate gory_Code=hayden-transaver

My 99 Sport 3.3L isn’t powerful enough, and I don’t think I can haul anything bigger than a 5 x 8 Uhaul Trailer with it stock.

I’m dreaming of an 08 Odyssey with a trailer tow package! 4500lb tow capacity!

Old 01-18-2008, 08:53 PM
racin90
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Towing a light vehicle with a minivan

Personally i wouldnt use the caravan as a towing vehicle. They seem to have enough problems with transmissions pulling the van itself. Now if you know someone who works at a transmission shop and can beef the transmission up with a real good transmission cooler......go for it. Good luck

Quick Reply: Towing a light vehicle with a minivan