Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Wipers Quit, Blower motor Quit!!!

Old 01-31-2008, 03:31 PM
TJKashin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wipers Quit, Blower motor Quit!!!

I have been researching this problem for months now, on every forum I could find, so now here I go on this forum.

The Vehicle: 1998 Chrysler Town and Country LXi - 149,000 Miles
The Problem: No wipers on any speed, no blower motor on any speed

The wipers just quit working one day, so I figured maybe it was a fuse. No, couldn't be that simple, right? I checked the fuse, replaced it just for good measure. I checked the relays and replaced them as well. Still nothing. I checked the motor and replaced it, no luck. I checked the multifunction switch and even replaced it. Still nothing. I have been through the wiring schematics and do not seem to have any power going to the wipers from anywhere.

A week after this happened, the blower motor intermittently would work and then go off. It then went off a day later and now will not come back on. I have not looked any deeper than the fuses and the PDC, but I will look at the resistor coil and the motor a bit closer when I get home after reading a writeup here on it.

Here is a list of other strange electrical issues as well:

No power to the vehicle when the key is in the off position. This means I have no interior lights if the key is not on. No power to the diagnostics port at all, although there is power to the power seats when the key is out of the ignition. Occasionally when it would rain out, there would be a flicker of life from the interior lights now and again, but only have a good hard rain or carwash. I have checked all the grounds and they are all intact and functional. I have checked everything I know how to check and cannot find an answer to this issue. The dealer tells me that it will be at least $800 just for them to diagnose this problem.

Any suggestions? My next move is probably going to be a BCM.

Thanks

Tim K.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:18 AM
TJKashin
Default RE: Wipers Quit, Blower motor Quit!!!

Update, since everyone was so helpful here....

I tried a new BCM, that didn't fix the issue. Anyways, after 9 hours of digging around some more and looking at some wiring schematics, I did notice that all the failing components were on the same ground. I decided to dig around in the main harness behind the front drivers side fender. VOILA!!! I found the problem, it seems that some of the wires in that harness had been rubbing against the fender brace and they had rubbed right through the insulation. There were several wires that were cut and green from grounding out plus the moisture of being under the fender. I spent a good 5 hours snipping and splicing and soldering and heat shrinking wires back together and now I have everything back working except the blower motor. I will try the resistorblock next, but I think it may be the switch on the dash that has gone bad. Does anyone have any test procedures that can tell me if this switch is good? Is there a test procedure that will tell me if the motor is bad as well? Let me know as I cannot find anything relative to testing these items.

TJKashin

Old 02-21-2008, 09:28 PM
bozzoswald
Default RE: Wipers Quit, Blower motor Quit!!!

unplug blower motor harness one wire is fused(hot) the other is ground coming from your swith and then through the resister

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wipers Quit, Blower motor Quit!!!