Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

HVAC switch problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 03:26 PM
dweesb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HVAC switch problems

I need help to replacethe fan control switch for my HVAC. I've had the dash apart and found that I had been lied to by a few "parts store guys". All had been telling me that the three switches, fan, temp, and vent control, were all one unit and needed to be replaced as a whole. After a few minutes and not a penny spent, I'm glad to say, THEY WERE WRONG! But, I have yet to find a site on-line that will give me what I'm looking for. Does anybody know what I'm supposed to call this part, I've tried looking under switches, HVAC, electronics, you name it. I can't find it.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:00 PM
floorslayer1
Veteran
Default RE: HVAC switch problems

You need to provide more info about the van; the different generations used different controller methods...some were mechanical, some vacuum, some vac and electronic, some electronic only. What exactly are your symptoms?

Old 02-04-2008, 02:21 PM
dweesb

Switches are vac and elec. Vent control switch operates fine. You can hear the vent doors opening and closing when you change from one selection to the next. The fan speed switch, electric, hasn't worked in the third position in a few years, but now the fan seems to turn on only when it wants in the other positions. The third position still doesn't work. I'm thinking thefan switch has just come to its life's end and want to replace it.

Old 02-04-2008, 04:13 PM
floorslayer1
Veteran

Sounds more like the resistor block that controls the fan going bad .

Old 02-04-2008, 06:58 PM
dweesb

OK. Any suggestions on how to chase that one down and how to test it? I'm a bike guy. I get heat hugging the motor at a red light and A/C at high speed. I dont have any problem taking stuff apart to work on it, but I dont have a service manual to work from.

Quick Reply: HVAC switch problems