Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

intermittant speedometer

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 10:10 AM
westexjoe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intermittant speedometer

2001 Dodge Caravan, automatic, V6, 100k+ miles, purchased as a 15k demo.
Speedometer needle will stay stuck below 0 mph, 10 minutes or 2-3 days later it will start working again. This can occur at the beginning of a trip or after stopping at an intersection.
While driving with it stuck below "0", the transmission shifts fine and the cruise control appears to work properly!!... just can't tell how fast or how far I've gone. Cycling power with the ignition switch or disconnecting/reconnecting the battery have no effect. This has been very irritating and a tad unsafe, not to mention the risk of getting a speeding ticket when I least expect it.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!
WestexJoe

Old 02-11-2008, 02:12 PM
webbee
Professional
Default RE: intermittant speedometer

Try rebooting the BCM by removing the IOD fuse for 15 minutes. It's located in the engine compartment fuse box and is marked on the diagram. If this doesn't work, try rapping hard on the top of the dash over the speedometer when it's misbehaving. If you get it to work from rapping, then it may be you need to fix the solder joints on the PC board. It also could be corrosion in the wiring or loose/corroded connectors from the battery to the PC board. I think I read that 2001's have wiring issues, due to being the first year for that model.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:40 PM
vlmuke
Professional

before rebooting the bcm try running the self diagnostic for the dash by holding down the trip reset button for 5-10 seconds with the key not in the ignition it will start moving the needles and displaying code if any, record those this may fix the problem you can find the codes in the service manual if you get any if not then try rebooting the bcm

Old 02-12-2008, 02:38 PM
westexjoe

Thanks guys! Had no idea there were things a guy could try without the special plug interface & high dollar software. More wrenches for the toolbox! Thanks again!

I'm getting close to the last straw with this little truck. I'm replacing the window regulator for the last time!
Are the days of a robust Chrysler/Dodge minivan over?
I've wondered about this 2001. Compared to the first 3 Dodge/Chrysler minivans I've owned, this 2001 has been a real lemon. All little stuff, interior panels falling off, rear hatch latch sticking, window regulator motors burning up, plus the stuff mentioned on my original post. This van is giving me serious reservations on going with Dodge the next time around after this. Still don't like the Chev or Ford alternatives for minivan.

On the upside, the geometry and drivetrain on the 2001 is every bit as good as the earlier models. These Dodge/Chrysler minivans suit my needs well. Being able to get around when ice storms come along is important for what I do, you can keep your 4WDs! These guys have all been the most controllable & safest vehicles I've ever driven, especially on iced over hilly roads.

Quick Reply: intermittant speedometer