Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

HELP... I might be a moron

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 03:18 PM
johnekgun
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP... I might be a moron

After going through three air conditioning compressors and being sick of seeing my mini van not running in the driveway for months at a time I put on a by pass pulley just so I could drive it around town.

All went well until I tried to put the belt back on. It does not seem to fit. The pulley is the same size but I can't seem to slipthe beltover the idler when the tension is released. I've changed quite a few of these belts over the years and have not run into this problem before. I'm baffled.

Anyone ever have this problem ? Anyone have a solution or explanation ? Thanks in advance.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:00 PM
chopper
Veteran
Default RE: HELP... I might be a moron

Do you have a belt diagram?
I did the same thing whenI replaced a belt once.It would almost go on but not quite.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:46 AM
johnekgun

Yes I have a diagram. The one on the vehicle and several from various manuals. I have routed these before and had them be wrong and am not above making the same mistake several times. I believe I have it routed correctly. I'm beginning to think that the last compressor freezing up may have damaged the belt some how possibly. I am going to measure it against another belt today.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:37 AM
TJeepman
Professional

Since nothing has made the path longer apparently, the tensioner must not be releasing fully when you twist it.
Didn't happen to replace an alternator as well, did you? Make sure you have the right pulley on that. Newer ones (2001 up) have a clutch pulley.

Quick Reply: HELP... I might be a moron