Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Caravan has rough start and sputters

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 09:04 PM
BBills
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caravan has rough start and sputters

Hello Forum,

I have a 2003 Grand Caravan which turns over for about 5 seconds before starting. It also sputters intermittently, usually at stop lights. This has been occuring off and on for about a year, it goes away, but keeps coming back.

The first time it happed, I had the codes read, and it called out P0300 and P0301, which is a #1 cylinder misfire and multiple cylinder misfire and the check engine light was lit. At that time, I changed the plugs and wires, reset the codes, and it went away for about three months.

The next time it happened, I unplugged the battery to reset the computer and clear the check engine light, and it went away for more than six months. It just started occuring again this week, so I decided to take it to the dealership and have a diagnostic run on it.

The diagnostic did not show anything out of the normals. They cleared the check engine light, and it stays off. But it still calls out the same codes, and still has a hard start with intermittent sputtering.

The dealership has checked the plugs, wires, ignition coils, and performed a computer software upgrade. None of these actions has solved the problem. They want to do a cylinder decarbonization and start working on the fuel injectors next.

Has anyone had any similar issues with a caravan? I see these repairs going nowhere fast, and it is starting to get a little expensive. Any help would be appreciated.

Bill Bills

Quick Reply: Caravan has rough start and sputters