Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

towing wiring harness

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 08:10 AM
notadrone
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default towing wiring harness

I have limited income and recently had a hitch put on my 02 grand caravan sport. pepboys says I need a 60 dollar wiring harness and $25 labor fee.
Can i find the harness cheaper, and how do I put it on? I just need a four prong harness as I will be towing a 4x8 utility trailer.
Thanks in advance for you help.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:41 PM
floorslayer1
Veteran
Default RE: towing wiring harness

depending on how professional you want it to look, you should be able to buy a trailer harnes kit at an auto parts or hardware store. Then by pulling the tail lights, tap into the wires you need and just have the wires come out between the body and light assembly. If you're careful, you can run the wires sort of behind the tailgate gasket and down towards the center leaving enough length for your connection to the trailer. Unfortunately because you need both turn signals, it will involve pulling the lens assembly from both sides to get at the wires. This is how I did harnesses for my 88's, 91, 94, and 1 of my 97's. I'm assuming that there is no major differences in the 2002 set-up. The harness pigtail should be attainable for $10-$20 then, maybe an hour of your time. When not in use you can just coil up the line and leave it in the back and when need, just open the hatch and drop it out. Worked great for me..... good luck.

I used scotch locks (side tap/splice) to connect to the respective wires. A Bit of advice is after your connections are certain and good, i recommend putting silicone around the connector, this will minimize corrosion due to air/humidity exposure. In upstate NY, it essential.....

Old 03-20-2008, 09:47 AM
next2pool
Professional

Unfortunately, you need a "powered" adapter because the tailights are controlled by the body computer. That's why the cost is so high. I found mine on ebay for about 35. It has all of the plugs to install it and it is about a 30 minute job with no special skills required. You can buy them at the car parts stores, but the cost will be close to what your dealer quoted.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:12 PM
floorslayer1
Veteran

Nice to know... Glad to learn somethng new. Is this only 2001 and newer. Because I had no probs on my 97... Thanks

Quick Reply: towing wiring harness