Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

01 GC stalled, wont turn over

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 07:40 PM
ramtrk2000
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 GC stalled, wont turn over

I was driving my 01 GC Sport, 3.3l, on the freeway in a wet snow. My cd player stopped working, and when I looked down my gas gage was on 1/4, i had filled it up earlier that day, also the fuel light came on, then the van stalled. I cant get anything to happen when I turn the key, wont even turn over. I thought the alternator had gone bad, but even after charging the battery, nothing. I am sure it is probably a wire somewhere. Anyone know where to start? Even now when you turn the key on the fuel gage does not move and the fuel light stays on. Radio will work fine, blower motor is working also.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:08 PM
ramtrk2000
Default RE: 01 GC stalled, wont turn over

To update, we found ignition switch fuse blown, we changed it, but it immediately blows again. Also found no communications to computer, even before fuse blows. It has been towed to a local shop, but it drove me & my friend crazy so far.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:30 AM
foam_n_fibre

Sounds very similar to what our 01 GC did last week. It was a blown ignition fuse. We also had a check engine light on. 2 faults came up for the check engine light, and they both are the common ones that come up when the PCM is near death. My mechanic said that the vehicle speed sensor would be the next to go too. I drove (limped)it home with spare fuses, and an waiting for a new PCM. Ohyeah, and the speedo stoppedworking so its all following the pattern for a shot PCM. I had the option for a $900 PCM and only the dealer can program that with proprietary software (I'm in Canada BTW). Might have needed a tow to the dealer too. Or, I found www.autocomputerexchange.com and ordered a pre-programmed PCM for $225. They sell on ebay with very good feedback rating, so I'm waiting with fingers crossed.

Good luck!
Peter

Old 04-03-2008, 09:55 PM
ramtrk2000

Just spoke to friend who is a mechanic with state of Ohio. They have had two caravans, a 2001, and a 2003, with very similar problems. they have found the main fuse panel having gren underneath on the wiring, and also found under the battery tray, a main wire rubbed through. They have repaired the wire, replaced the fuse box, with new pigtails, and all problems solved. I will be letting the shop know that has my van, and see if this may be my problem.

Quick Reply: 01 GC stalled, wont turn over