Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Starter??

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 08:30 PM
dpnoble1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter??

I am not sure how well I will be able describe this, but I am in need of some help. I have 2003 Grand Caravan and recently it would not turn over. No cranking, no clicking, but lights all come on and battery is around 585 CCA. When trying to start all dash lights come on, but nothing happens.... So my knee jerk reaction is Starter. Well, the other day I went out and tried randomly to turn over just for kicks and it worked. I drove it up and down the street and all was well. I then parked back in garage and waited a few minutes only to have the same problem all over again. I ran a diag and all tests passed with no codes to post. I am so very confused at was is going on? COuld it be a fuel issue or maybe a fuel and started combo? Or a wiring issue... (but would this show up on the diag test)

HELP.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:25 PM
RickMN
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Starter??

Sure sounds like a theft alarm issue to me. Is your van equipped with theft alarm?

Old 03-30-2008, 06:30 AM
djjackson13
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Starter??

I've been battling what sounds like an identical issue with my '97 3.0 for the last few weeks, so you have my sympathy. Almost impossible to troubleshoot because the problem was intermittent and seemed to occur only when I did not have the time to get into it with a meter. I first ruled out a charging system issue. I then suspected the relay. It tested fine, but I swapped it out anyway. To add more confusion to the issue, the relay swap seemed to cure it for a few days, but that turned out to be dumb luck. I pulled the starter and had it tested and, of course, it tested OK on the bench. I cleaned up all the connections and put the old one back in. Once again, it SEEMED like I had solved the problem with cleaning the contacts. But, nooooo...After several more days of this, I decided to gamble the cost of a new starter. I replaced it on Friday and it has started every time since. The new starter cranks the motor much more vigorously than the old one. I'm not 100% sure I'm out of the woods at this point, but based onthe track record, the problem would have likely resurfaced before now if the starter was not the issue. Good Luck.

Quick Reply: Starter??