Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Gas Mileage on a 05 Dodge Grand Caravan V6.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 08:50 AM
picabu
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

elton, what did you get on the trade in? I want to trade my 05 GC SXT too....

Old 09-04-2009, 09:37 AM
eltonb

They gave me $5,600 and I snatched it up! Its now on the lot for $7990.

My Toyota Sienna with damn near 300hp gets 21 MPG.

Screw a Dodge Caravan!

Old 09-04-2009, 10:14 AM
picabu

wow! this van value really depreciates! Wonder what they will give me for my sxt with 20K miles.

How do you like your new toyota?

Old 09-14-2009, 09:27 PM
MikHalifax
Default I must be lucky.

I've got an '05 GC with the 3.8L. I get about 18 city, 24-25 hwy at 70mph. It averages out with the ratio of city to hwy at about 20.8 mpg.

Got 84,000 on it and it's never had a tuneup. I've replaced the plugs but that's about it.

The worst mileage I've ever had in a Dodge was actually my '97 Dakota. I think I had one of 10 ever produced with the 2.5L 4 banger. Just way too under powered for that chassis. Even with a manual, it was always just working too hard. I might have gotten 18-19 hwy with that thing.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:35 AM
spetznazer
Default 21 mpg

I am getting average 21 MPG on my 05 Caravan SXT. It is city/highway mixed and always 5 people inside. I just don't push pedal to the metal. I'm driving this thing once a week to other side of the Hawaii island that 100 miles away from my home and have altitude changes from 50 to 2500 feet. Still getting those 21 mpg.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:43 PM
wood41_2000
Default 05 grand caravan bad mpg

I just bought this 05 gc with an 3.8 in Aug 09 it has 52000 mi it gets 12-14 mpg in town with air on. We traded in a 02 Jeep gc 4x4 it was getting 15-16 in town with air on. Both were driven by same person. No codes showing up with light or code reader.
I am disappointed in the buy.
I am going to change thermostat It reads less than 1/2 on temperature gauge.
Anyone have any ideas about this?

Old 09-29-2009, 09:34 PM
Finn1200

I've got a 05 Grand Caravan w/3.3L (52,000 +/-). I get 17-18 MPG (no a/c on - driver only) around town and 24-25 (a/c on - 1 driver+5 pass) on the highway. Just coming back from Atlantic City this weekend I was averaging 90MPH (no a/c on - driver + 2 pass) and still got 25MPG. If you are getting 10 MPG something is wrong with the van or the Douche connector.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:51 AM
spetznazer
Default To Wood41_2000

Hmmm.....Is this a trip computer's reading or miles/gal math? Try to calculate actual mileage. Fill up the tank, null trip odometer. When you will be empty fill it up again and see how much fuel you got (15-16 gal).Than take numbers from trip odometer and divide them on number of galons you just put in. This is gonna be your actual mileage. If it less than 20 do next:

- inflate tires to proper pressure
- check/replace air filter
- pour in tank fuel injector cleaner drive full tank and measure mileage after that.

if still less than 20 do next:

- check/replace spark plugs
- change oil with sinthetic blend
- check brakes to see that pads are not stucked and calipers work smooth.

What gas station you do use? Chevron, Shell are your friends. They have additives that clean your engine. Proven on my cars. I was filling up at chevron and was getting 26 MPG on my Toyota Cressida. Then I gave it to my father in-law and he was "saving" money on ARCO. He was getting 19 MPG top.

You can easely add 2-3 MPG by changing you driving attitude. Remeber - avoid driving that require friquent braking, I mean do not accelerate to much if you know that you have to stop at next light. Accelerate gradualy, not rapidly.

I hope you will fix your mileage.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:14 AM
MikHalifax
Default Don't change your thermostat

Originally Posted by wood41_2000
I am going to change thermostat It reads less than 1/2 on temperature gauge.
Anyone have any ideas about this?
That's the normal temperature range my my GC. My gauge reads just below 1/2.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:29 PM
TJeepman
Professional

Originally Posted by MikHalifax
That's the normal temperature range my my GC. My gauge reads just below 1/2.
It's very handy at times to document your vehicle's particulars / nuances. Examples are:
- Temperature Gauge: Where is the needle under normal operating conditions?
Mine is the width of the tip of the needle below the mid point indicator.
- Oil Pressure Gauge: Where is the needle under normal operating conditions?
Don't have one in my Van. Do have one in my Jeep though - two widths of the end of the needle above the mid point.
- Battery Charging Gauge: Where is the needle under normal operating conditions? Don't have one in my Van. On my Jeep, it's at the mid point, or slightly above, normally.
- What's the normal RPM at 110 kms/hr. This one gets looked at a lot just to see how things are working.
On my Van, it's 2200 and on my Jeep, it's 2000.
- What are the radio settings? When you disconnect the battery, you will need to reset these maybe.
- What's the typical gas mileage on a trip? This helps determine if your engine is performing as it used to, and to ease your expectations.
- What tire pressures are being maintained?
- What are the colors of the various fluids in your vehicle? If you see red fluid in the snow, what does that tell you (likely transmission or power steering fluid)? Blue or yellow fluid (likely windshield washer fluid)?
- What's the tread depth of your tires at various points in time? When is replacement anticipated?
- When was your air filter last changed? When is the next one due? Similar for oil changes, grease, belts, pvc valves, battery, spark plugs, ignition wires, coolant, etc.
- When is the next safety inspection due?
- When is re-registration due?
And the list goes on ....

Gas mileage on 2002 GC Sport 3.3L, with steady driving, not much wind wind, not loaded down much, on the highway, mild day is about 27 to 28 miles per Imperial gallon at or slightly above the speed limit. X by .83 to get American #s. You from Nova Scotia, MikHalifax?

Quick Reply: Gas Mileage on a 05 Dodge Grand Caravan V6.