Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Weird noise coming from van...need help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 10:50 PM
Driver72
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird noise coming from van...need help.

My 2007 GC SXT has only 6900 miles on it.
When it had about 4500 miles on it I noticed a weird "howling" or "whistling" type sound coming from fron under the van occasionally.
It is so intermittent that it was impossible to reproduce at the dealership with the technician.

The sound usually happens when making a low speed right hand turn or when first leaving from a stop.
Occasionally I will hear this "howling" sound in a two or three repetition last for a split second or so each time.
By the time I accelerate up to 20 mph it stops.

It does not happen at higher speeds, it does not happen while braking.
However, I have heard it when just "coasting" to, meaning not applying brake pedal or accelerator pedal, just idling away from a stop.
But again, it seems to happen most often during low speeds and while turning right (but has happened when going perfectly straight or turning left occasionally too).

I have also NEVER heard it when the van is cold. It always makes the noise when I've been driving for quite some time and therefore the van and all moving parts are hot.

The van seems to drive perfectly normal however and I have noticed NO ill effects from it.
It's hard to tell exactly where it's coming from, but it doesn't sound like it's coming from the engine bay, but somewhere under the van.

Has anybody experienced anything close to this in their Grand Caravan?
Anybody have ANY idea as to what it could be so I can suggest it to the Service Advisor?

Thanks!

Old 08-30-2008, 09:11 AM
POTTER
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have just started hearing the same type of noise. Usually from a stop, or a left hand turn, and only after I have been driving the van for a while. It seems like a brake noise to me, but I have had it at the dealership twice and they can't find any problems.

Someone suggested to me it might be a power steering issue and they had something similar. They added fluid and the noise went away. Now, my levels were only slightly low and I added a little and have not noticed the noise since, but it has only been a few days...

Quick Reply: Weird noise coming from van...need help.