Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

A/C clutch will not engage

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 10:29 AM
JoeC1981
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C clutch will not engage

I'm having trouble trying to figure out why the A/C clutch will not engage on my wifes 2005 GC SXT. The fuse and relay are good ( I tried a known good relay). Per the Haynes manual I jumped the low pressure wiring harness to get the compressor to stay on and that didnt work either. I tired the A/C In normal and recirculate mode and also in defrost.....nothing. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Old 05-24-2008, 12:22 AM
JoeC1981
Professional
Default RE: A/C clutch will not engage

Ok here's an update. I jumped 30-87 on the A/C clutch relay and the compressor engaged so thats fine. At that point i'm sure its low on refrigerant because it didnt blow cold air. Since i cant buy my own R134a kits in WI, I took it in tonight and the dye tested for leaks and didnt find anything obvious so they refilled it and i'll go back in 3 weeks to check again.

Old 05-24-2008, 05:52 PM
Calmec87

My Neighbor is a Chrysler Mechanic, and has found the same problem with the AC on both of my caravans. He also said it is a very common problem with the vehicle.

Both vans had slow leaks in the evaporator coil. slow enough that i just charge it first thing every summer and it lasts almost till fall.

Thats the best option for me because my dad gets the refridgerant, and my neighbor charges it for me, total cost is usually just a six pack.

I dont know how involved or expensive the repair could be, or even if that is your specific problem, but it might be a good place to start.

Old 05-25-2008, 12:32 AM
JoeC1981
Professional

Thats the same thing the shop said. He also said the rear lines tend to leak but not as much as the evaporator coil.

Quick Reply: A/C clutch will not engage