Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

97 Caravan Radiator Fan problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 11:50 PM
46FD04
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Caravan Radiator Fan problem

Both fans come on when the engine temp gets up to the preset temp.

However, they do notoperate when the A/C is switched on. The A/C is working great when the van is moving.

Once stopped, the A/C warms up because the fans aren't spinning.

Where would the fan relays be? No one seems to know where they are.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:52 AM
spat
Default RE: 97 Caravan Radiator Fan problem

it is a solid state design mounted to the frame under the radiator. looks nothing like a typical relay.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:40 AM
floorslayer1
Veteran

On a 97 the fan relay is mounted behind the air cleaner box by 2 8mm screws. It is a small flat solid state relay. Not hard to change just time consuming to get to.There was a recall on some of these.

Old 06-23-2008, 03:17 PM
46FD04
Rookie

I think it's fixed.

Went to the junkyard, picked up 3 relays from 96 or 97 Caravans.

I installed one today, and when I put the AC on,the fans came on within 60 seconds. The fans remained on until I shut off the AC.

Also, if you do this repair, be sure to apply a coating of silver thermal grease to the back of the relay. When it's screwed onto the frame, this will help heat dissipation.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:33 PM
46FD04
Rookie

Well, it';s not fixed.

After the warm long weekend, I realize now that when I activate the AC, the fans are still not coming on until the engine warms up to the preset temp.

Once the fans start due to the engine getting hot,they stay on while the AC is on.

As soon as I shut off the AC, the fans stop.

Therefore the question remains.

Why won't the fans start up when the AC is first activated, until the engine warms up?

Old 07-03-2008, 08:30 PM
nype

My experience with rad fan quirks has been that they will not turn off once theycome on...even in winter. I would notice this because when the rad fans are on, the trans tends to wait until a higher RPM before shifting into 4th gear. Anyway, I've owned both a 97 Caravan with the 3.3 and a 97 Voyager with the 3.8. Both vans had the problem i just described. The fix was to replace the thermostat. Hope this helps.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:08 AM
FisherAngel7
Default ac fan won't come on immediately, also ac clutch won't engage immediately either.

My 2000 plymouth voyager 3.0 ac won't come on immediately, but will come on when the engine speed is increased.
History:
1. It was blowing hot air so I recharged it with 2 can of freon
2. It was still not coming on immediately so I added a 3rd can of freon with Glow in dark Leak detect and stop leak combined (walmart)
3. Next it still would not come on immediately, I asked a man at the advance auto parts store if he could check the pressure and see if it was full or not
4. He said not it was low pressure and probably still leaking. He added more freon.
5. Same problem. (it blows cold when going down road but only intermittant at idle)
6. On way home it seemed to lock up.. so i turned it off completely
7. next morning i took it to ac man who said it was way overfull. he put to proper filling and also told me that the fan was not coming on.
8. He also said the ac fan cutoff module was bad (its located under drivers sided headlight).
9. I went to autozone and replaced the ac cooling fan relay (square with plug in side of it about size of pack of paper matches only thicker). . SAME PROBLEM, but now engine shudders when going down freeway with ac on ( occasionally ) , thinking its locking up the compressor.. Turned it off.. waiting for solution.
10. THe ac clutch only comes on when higher rpms are reached or after about a minute at idle (maybe). But it does get cold.. I have to keep turning the ac switch off to prevent the shuddering described above.

Quick Reply: 97 Caravan Radiator Fan problem