Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2002 grand caravan sport egr valve

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008 | 11:47 AM
stevep
Default 2002 grand caravan sport egr valve

I have a 3.3 L V-6 G/C Sport after having replaced my plugs and wires a few days later we got a CEL, my wife took it to Auto Zone for a reading and they told her that it says we have a small vacuum leak, so while i was checking all of the hoses which istill have not found a leak i started looking for the EGR Valve on my model and according to my Haynes Manualit should be right above my alternator well i do not see it there, and lookingat the top of the valve cover where the hose coming off that connects into the EGR-V there is a manufacturers cover over it saying this side up so my question is it possible that my enginemaunfactured and sold without one?

I did notice there was an empty plug in coming off the wiring harness where the valve should be, if this model does not have an egr-vis the problem.

I bought this vehicle 2yearsago and up to now have not had a problem with it so it has run very well

Steve
Summerville, SC

Old 07-05-2008 | 06:38 PM
TJeepman
Professional
Default RE: 2002 grand caravan sport egr valve

I have a 2002 GC Sport with 3.3 and no EGR Valve. I have the blank plates and the unused electrical connector identical to what you have said in your very informative description. With over 182,000 kms on the Van, all is well. It's a great vehicle.[align=left]Firstly I feel blessed as EGR Valves can be troublesome. The theory behind them is theyallow a certain amount of exhaust gases to be mixed with the intake air to cool combusion and cut down on nitrous oxides which contribute to pollution. Some States require EGR Valves, some don't, hencesome Vans have them, some don't. If the exhaust gases are allowed to mix with the intake air at idle, the engine will run rough and may even stall out, or in some rare cases, possibly backfire.The rough idle is a common problem associated with a poorly functioning EGR Valve.[/align][align=left]What was the actual Code#? That may help isolate the area of the leak. Vacuum leaks, in general, could be in numerous places, including at the base of the throtle Body. Sometime meaningless codes come up and will eventually disappear after "so many" restarts. Disconnect your battery for 10 minutes and that may clear them as well. [/align][align=left]The various codes are on Page 6-7 of Chapter 6 of your Haynes Manual. Code P1684, if you get it, means the battery has been disconnected recently (within last 50 restarts). Don't believe that one is shown in the Manual. As to accessing the codes yourself, using the "on-off; on-off; on" ignition switch method, take a look at this site: http://www.allpar.com/fix/80s-codes.html[/align][align=left]More importantly,are you having any problems with you Van that might be attributed to a vacuum leak? You didn't indicate you did.[/align][align=left]Note: The spark plug work may have dislodged or damaged a vacuum line. I would check out that area first.[/align][align=left][/align]

Old 07-09-2008 | 04:56 PM
stevep

Thanks for your reply, i feel the same way about the EGR Valve i went through hell when i had a problem with a suspected EGR Code on my Ford F-150 turned out to be thegasket betweenmy Air Plenum andthe Manifold, once i replaced that is has beenfine no codes but all of the codes told me EGR.

I figured since i was not getting any codes from my computer that there was anEGR problem it was probably set up to run without an EGR.

As far as the Small Vacuum leak code i believe it was P1045 which starts with the Gas Cap and then runs through all of the vacuum lines as far as tracking it down, i have gone over the lines and found one line under thevan coming from the EVAPCharcoal Canisterthat appears to have some cracking on that hose. I will replace that hose this weekend and hopefully that will take care of the probem.

I think it was just coincidence on the spark plug replacement that the code came up.

Old 07-10-2008 | 02:43 PM
TJeepman
Professional

Thanks for your response and "good luck".

Old 09-22-2011 | 11:48 AM
LeonardoR
Default 2002 Grand Caravan 3.3 lts EGR valve wires?

Hello, I´m new in the forum and I do not know where to take this request. About 6 months ago I bought a 2002 G.C. sport with a 3.3 lts. engine, I noticed a strong smell of un-burned gasoline of the exhaust, a so call mechanic change the spark plugs, but the smell continued, I check the engine and discover an unpluged, 2 wire harnes over the alternator, I found that the EGR valve (EGV830) had no plug in it, but, as I said before, the plug was a 2 wire harnes and the conection on the EGR valve is a 5 pin conect. You may be surprised, I am not, because here in Mexico those are the problems you take when buying a used, north american procedence vehicle. Now I know that some parts of the wiring of the engine were replaced, not with originals or even, right ones. So far, nobody, and I mean, nobody, not even both Dodge distribuitors in my city had solve the issue, they do not have the especific wiring diagram to the valve. My request, Can I have the wiring diagram to the EGR valve? All I need is the "origin" of the 5 wires and the color codes for them, as well as the conection orden in the valve, I am sure I can make the hook up once I know "where from and where to". Thank you very much.

Sincerelly
Leonardo R
Guanajuato, Mexico.
PS. I´m sorry for my English, that´s all I have.

Quick Reply: 2002 grand caravan sport egr valve