Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Replace 91 Caravan Starter 3.3L

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 02:30 AM
kool1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace 91 Caravan Starter 3.3L

Looks like I need to remove the front motor mount to get to the lower starter bolt ... The other starter bolt I get to from the top of the engine compartment. Also the lower starter bolt threads into the bell-housing while the top bolt threads into the starter. Does this sound correct? I can't see the top bolt ... I can just feel it.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:24 PM
lmschris

I just replaced mine today. Wasn't too difficult. Starter is located in front behind the bumper, near the front motor mount. Jack up car to gain access to the unit. Unfasten hot battery cable from the unit with a 13mm socket, along with the clip-style wire next to it. Break and remove the lower bolt with a 15mm socket and rachet. Upper bolt is accessed above from under the hood. To get to the upper bolt, remove the radiator fan assembly -- very easy, only 2 10mm bolts holding it in. Unplug the fan-motor connector, remove the 2 bolts and lift the assembly out. May have to twist at just the right angle to lift it completely out. Once out, the upper starter bolt is easy to get to with a 15mm socket, a 3" extension and rachet. Break and remove the upper bolt with just that. From underneath, pull out the starter and replace. Mine had 1 shim mounted between the starter and bell housing. Re-use the same shim. It only goes on one way so don't worry about remounting it. Took a few tries to get the unit lined up and mounted back into the bell housing without the shim falling, but not too difficult. While holding the new starter in place, re-install lower bolt by hand to hold in place. Re-install top bolt from above. Re-fasten the hot battery cable and clip-style wire next to it. Tighten all bolts securely. At this point, start the car to make sure it starts properly. When satisfied, re-install the radiator fan assembly. Do NOT forget to re-plug in the fan-motor connector (or you'll obviously overheat later when driving!!)

Old 04-03-2011, 09:29 PM
lmschris

IMPORTANT: Also, don't forget to disconnect the negative battery cable before doing any work. Reconnect after new starter is installed and hot/red and clip-style wire are properly re-fastened.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:39 AM
me0418840987
Veteran

Imschris: The starter shim can be held in place temporairaly with a coat of chassis grease on the side you want to stick to the bellhousing, then it doesn't move out of place when installing the starter.

Old 07-29-2017, 12:12 AM
joezapp
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kool1 never got back to say how he made out, but I am attempting this job tomorrow. I want to thank lmschris for the thorough instructions and also the guy with the shim advice. The Factory Service Manual makes no mention of taking out the fan, but if need be I will take it out thanks to your advice!

Quick Reply: Replace 91 Caravan Starter 3.3L