Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Dealer Deleted Options??

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 09:45 PM
96GCSE
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dealer Deleted Options??

I bought several months back a 1996 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 7 passenger, or so I thought. It's got the privacy glass, alloy wheels (15" 'mind you), Infinity Sound System, 3.3L V6 R Code engine, dual sliding doors, etc. etc. in paint code PBK (Medium Blue Pearlcoat). Well I went to the dealer to get the spec sheet so I could make it easier on myself when it comes to getting parts when it came down to future repairs that might be needed. I got the print out, got home, and started reading it over dinner (supper to some). I found out I uncovered a gem of a ride. I found out I actually have a 1996 Dodge Grand Caravan SE Sport, one small problem tho. As I read down the paper I noticed a bunch of these DDO options. I called the dealership back and spoke with a dealer. We had lunch (of course I bought, LoL) and he told me the story of the DDO's. First off DDO stands for Dealer Deleted Options, 2nd I found out it could be done to ANY MOPAR VEHICLE, and 3rd It's Very Commonly done! What happens is someone finds a Trim Level they like, then they start tacking on options and THEN find out that it's going to run them more than jus' getting the next trim level up. BUT, one problem, the next trim level has things the person doesn't want. So what do they do? They get the dealer to delete this option or that option which in turn lowers the cost of the van to their liking.
SO, After getting all this information from this gentleman. I've found out I got my work cut out to get this van to the trim level it's suppose to be and what I want as well. Here's a run down on what was "Dealer Deleted" from my Sport:

Rear Spoiler, Driving Lights, 16" Alloy Wheels, Body Coloured Bumpers and Side Trim, Leather Interior, Power Option (Driver and Passenger front seat), and Sport Decals.

I found out that the previous owner took the Quad Seating Bucket Seats out of the middle row and ordered a matching Sport Cloth Bench Seat with Dual Armrests. Now my hunt is on and trying to keep this under budget. I figure this might help some future or current owners figure out why their minivans might be optioned out like they are but seem rather basic in appearance. Cheers and Happy Motoring. JR of KCMO

Old 10-06-2008, 11:06 PM
Nofrag
Champion

lol I think you have my van lmao, you just fully described the van I bought today, right down to the middle bench with dual armrests. There are a couple differences ofcourse, like mine has 15" steel rims, no cd, and a 3.0. Otherwise, I have power everything, privacy glass, some kind of pearl paint(looks gray in the shade, turns purple in different light, and says blue on the ownership). I'm going to look into this, was it a pain to get the spec sheet? did you have to pay anything for it? or did you just walk in and give them the vin number?

Old 10-06-2008, 11:37 PM
mr340
Muscle Car Moderator

If you have a newer vehicle, Chrysler will not give you any build info, here is the E-mail they sent back to me:
Dear xxxxxx:

Thank you for contacting the Chrysler Customer Assistance Center
regarding your 2006 Chrysler Town & Country.

We appreciate the time and effort you took to write to us.

We regret we are unable to provide a build sheet per your request due to
privacy and security concerns regarding the protection of confidential
information about a vehicle.

If you have a question unrelated to the security system of a vehicle, we
may be able to provide insight about a specific component, which was
included in the original equipment at the time of manufacture.

We hope you understand our position and apologize for any inconvenience
this may cause.

Thanks again for your email.

Sincerely,

Katherine Ander
Customer Service Representative
Chrysler Customer Assistance Center

Old 10-07-2008, 07:42 AM
96GCSE

I have a friend that works for a local Dodge dealership. So that was a major perk, but yes your local dealership might be able to provide you with a "Function 14" spec sheet on your van. He did say that on some newer Chrysler Vehicles that it is a bit harder to do since it takes some time to get in and settled in the database. I gave my friend the VIN number and he provided me with a printout of my vehicle. Since he works there he was able to get a tad deeper into the system than say a "Tech Person" or "Mechanic". HTH JR

Old 10-08-2008, 12:55 PM
Nofrag
Champion

I just walked in to my preferred dealer and asked at the service counter, first they told me it's illegal, and then they said "this never happened". They printed me off the options report, but it doesn't state the trim level, just standard and optional equipment. Then they told me as soon as my van is operational that I need to book an appointment because there are 4 outstanding recalls.

Old 10-09-2008, 12:09 AM
96GCSE

Sounds like what a friend of mine said to me before handing me the print out. If your's doesn't say the trim level then you have an "upgraded base." Since I noticed you don't have a tachometre in your pics this would make perfect sense. Mine states on my front fenders "SE," and it has the following options:

Dual Sliding Doors, Full Instrument Cluster Package (has the tachometre), Privacy Glass, Alloy 15x6.5 wheels by Enkei (stamped on the back), Overhead console w/ trip computer, Infinity Car Audio/Stereo Equipment, bench seat w/ dual armrests, 3.3L HO R Code Engine, 4 speed automatic w/ overdrive, PBK Code Paint (Medium Blue Pearlcoat), and several other features I'm sure I've overlooked.

The only trim levels that carry 9 out of 10 of these options (and some that were deleted or replaced by something else) I've seen in the dealer brochure that I have says SE Sport or LE. Mine wouldn't be a LE cause it's not tu-tone (Grey Lower Rocker Panels) and a few other things are missing as well. Either way, I'm happy with my van, but I'm going to upgrade it and make it look better than it currently is since it's Rust Free and pretty straight except for hail spots and a dent in the liftgate from my elbow trying to catch it one day when my hands were full.

Future Mods I wanna do are as follows:

*1999/2000 Sport Bumper, Grill, and Driving Lights
*Rear Liftgate Spoiler
*Body Coloured Side Trim and Rear Bumper
*UKDM Spec Taillights or Altezza Taillights
*Black Headlight housing Taillights w/ Amber Side lights
*Replace the Quad Seating that's been removed
*Upgrade the seats, door panels, etc with Town and Country Interior in grey of course
and a few other things I can't think of at the moment.

JR of KCMO

Quick Reply: Dealer Deleted Options??