Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

05 GC Whistling Noise Under Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 06:12 AM
Great White Wing
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 GC Whistling Noise Under Acceleration

05 Grand Caravan about 50k miles. Makes a low pitched whistling noise while accelerating.

Thinking CV joint(s). Any other ideas? Troubleshooting?

Been making it for 6 months or more now and not getting worse or louder I should say, could be getting worse LOL.

I replaced tranny fluid a year ago with a good synthetic. High quality synthetic engine oil. I check brakes and tire pressure regularly.

I am pretty sure the car made this noise before a 4 tire change out. Michelins with slightly more aggressive tread than stock. I can hear the tread noise as different than the whistling noise.

Appreciate any advise you can muster up.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:46 AM
chopper
Veteran

Could possibly be a vacuum leak.
Cracked hoses can whistle or a fitting can work loose.
The serpentine belt can also be loose.The tensioner can freeze in place and fail to keep the belt tightly wrapped around the pulleys.This shows up under acceleration since the engine is trying to speed up the accessories also.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:53 AM
vwomein
Professional

I'm also thinking vacuum leak...................or
a wheel bearing. If its a vacuum leak(or anything engine related), you'd be able to hear the noise while stopped & revving the engine a little. If the noise is not there, you can move on to other items that move when the van is in motion(tranny, wheel bearings, tires, brakes).

Old 11-15-2008, 03:29 PM
Great White Wing
Rookie

Wouldn't a leak big enough to cause the noise throw a code aand light the check engine light.

If not enough to light can a good code reader catch it?

Changing the belt is probably something I should do anyways with 50k miles.

Originally Posted by chopper
Could possibly be a vacuum leak.
Cracked hoses can whistle or a fitting can work loose.
The serpentine belt can also be loose.The tensioner can freeze in place and fail to keep the belt tightly wrapped around the pulleys.This shows up under acceleration since the engine is trying to speed up the accessories also.

Old 11-15-2008, 05:50 PM
Nofrag
Champion

Does it make the sound if you slowly increase the revs in park or neutral? Does it only do it while moving? Does it only do it under load? Does the pitch or volume change with speed? rpm? or throttle?

If it happens with the throttle, whether in gear or not, it is air movement, a leak somewhere or whatever.

If it happens with RPM, then it could be a belt, internal engine related issue, or a bad bearing in an accessory.

If it happens with speed then it is anything from the transmission down the line to wheel bearings or even tires or allignment etc.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:01 AM
vwomein
Professional

ah, he's got his mind stuck on the vacuum leak thing.

Quick Reply: 05 GC Whistling Noise Under Acceleration