Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

99 grand voyager limp mode

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 02:06 PM
atapir
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 grand voyager limp mode

99 grand voyager limp mode
Hi I just joined the forum. I bought a grand voyager at auction last week well it ran and went into gear that is all you can check out at this auction it turned out to be in limp mode. I got a scan tool at auto zone today and checked the codes here is what I got. po 731 po 733 po 734 it seems 1st 3rd and 4th gears ratio are incorrect I also got code 700 trans control malfunction. I have looked at the connections I took out my tcm and tried it in a friends van it works perfectly if some one could be so kind as to point me in the right direction I would be gratefull thanks Eric
Today I changed the input speed sensor no luck the trans is full slight burnt smell a little towards brown in color when cleared it will go 123 neutral 2 then drop in and out of second like it is trying to shift the car has the front end elevated in my shop to run it up to speed

Old 11-23-2008, 02:53 PM
andyg
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Burnt fluid and limp mode are primary indicators of trans failure. I would start off by pulling the trans pan and checking it for pieces (chunks) of metal. Some powder dust is fine on the magnet. If there are no chunks of metal, I would then put a new filter on and fill it with new AFT+4 and see if that helps. The codes saying that the ratios are incorect leads me to believe that the clutches are worn and slipping. How many miles are on the van?

Old 11-23-2008, 03:52 PM
atapir
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi it is a 1999 with 108000 miles I have also noticed it is leaking some fluid on my shop floor I have an offer from a re builder for $750 for a rebuilt trans with 1 year unlimited mileage cash and carry exchange this sound fair to me If the problem is not electronic in nature

Old 11-23-2008, 06:32 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ratio errors indicate internal clutch slippage. Burnt fluid indicates overheating. Both = bad.
Jump on that $750 rebuild if the guy does quality work. $1500-2000 is average price.

Quick Reply: 99 grand voyager limp mode