Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Do I have a block heater?...or not.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 04:22 PM
blacklake1967
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I have a block heater?...or not.

Ok...here's the deal.

I bought my '01 Caravan from an older lady who's husband passed away (he was the one that maintained the vehicles.)...so she doen't know whether it had a block heater or not.

There is a 3 conductor wire (that has been cut) beside my battery. It also has a tube (like tiny drainage pipe) that it is threaded through and the wire seems to run to the bottom of the engine in the middle, but I can't see where it ends, and it's-36 here so hanging around outside crawling under the van is not a good option.

I figure it's for a block heater. I just need to add a plug to the wire.

What else could it possibly be for?

And if it's a block heater...how do I test it to make sure it is working properly?....(I do have a multi-meter). Also...How would I decipher which wire is positive/negative and ground?

Any help would be greatly appreciated....really really....it's so cold it won't start...I may have to use the hairdryer to heat it up a bit...(seriously)

Old 01-16-2009, 03:13 AM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Green wire is the ground. Other 2 should be the heater element. Doesn't matter which you hook those to.
There should be no continuity from either wire to the Green (Ground).
between the element conductors resistance should be quite low. 15-30 Ohms I believe.(Typical)

Old 01-16-2009, 09:34 AM
blacklake1967
Professional

cool...it works......thanks!!!!

My reading was 24.5.....and the van started like a warm summer day, and it's bitter cold here.

Much oblidged!

Old 01-17-2009, 02:10 AM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great!
I know how you feel, -37C last night. Brrrrrr....

Old 01-18-2009, 12:32 PM
assimza
Default Heating slow and air blows very slow

I bought a Dodge caravan SE year 2000 on January 1st 2009. From the first drive I noticed that the heating is very slow and air comes out from cabin also very slow though I can hear the sound of the fan OK.

A friend of mine advised to change the cabin air filter. I looked around under the hood but can't find any place for it.

Can someone adive please. It is so cold in Toronto Canada and your assistance helps a lot.

I am also looking for manufacturer manual online.

Thanks a lot.

Asim

Old 01-18-2009, 03:36 PM
blacklake1967
Professional

Originally Posted by assimza
I bought a Dodge caravan SE year 2000 on January 1st 2009. From the first drive I noticed that the heating is very slow and air comes out from cabin also very slow though I can hear the sound of the fan OK.

A friend of mine advised to change the cabin air filter. I looked around under the hood but can't find any place for it.

Can someone adive please. It is so cold in Toronto Canada and your assistance helps a lot.

I am also looking for manufacturer manual online.

Thanks a lot.

Asim
I found one in my van...I didn't even realize at first that there was a storage drawer under the front passenger seat....and there it was, I thought I saw a PDF of the 2001 model, which I think is essentially the same. I'll look for the link for ya...in the meantime, I'd be happy to look up something in mine for ya...just let me know.

Last edited by blacklake1967; 01-18-2009 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:17 PM
assimza
Default Dodge caravan year 2000 heating issue

It would be great if you can send me the link by e-mail or post it. Much appreciated!

Asim

Old 01-18-2009, 05:27 PM
blacklake1967
Professional

Originally Posted by assimza
It would be great if you can send me the link by e-mail or post it. Much appreciated!

Asim
Will do...I'm almost positive I found one, but didn't save it as I already have one...

Quick Reply: Do I have a block heater?...or not.