Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Undercoat and Paint Protection. Worth It?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 08:45 AM
deantwi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Undercoat and Paint Protection. Worth It?!

Hey.
I just bought a new 09 Caravan yesterday and the dealer wants me to buy the undercoating and paint protection for 900 bucks.
Is it worth it?

Thanks

Dean

Old 01-27-2009, 09:09 AM
vabear
Professional
Default Undercoat and Paint Sealer

Don't waste your money.

1.Most cars have the under side sealed at the factory.

2. I have a '96 Caravan that I that sits outside 24/7, I wax it with a good synthetic wax, three or four times a year (I use ICE) and it still looks like new.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:22 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Undercoating and rustproofing are a very good idea if you plan on keeping the vehicle long term and especially if you live in the "Salt Belt"
Most new vehicle have very little factory undercoating or rust proofing.
Don't get it done at the dealer unless you can deal on the price. $900 is way too much!
There is huge mark up on this and it pure profit for the business manager on salesman.

Ming, Maaco, Ziebart and such places will do as good or better for probably 1/3 the price for the total package.

Don't let the dealer tell you the warranty is worth the extra price. It's nearly impossible to collect on the warranty and you need to have the rustproofing checked or reapplied periodically (at your expense) to keep it valid .

Old 01-27-2009, 10:00 PM
RickMN
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paint sealant is nothing more than a polymer base polish. You can buy it everything you need to do it yourself at this link for about $50

http://www.superiorcarcare.net/klass...ion-guide.html

You can buy spray cans of undercoating from any auto parts store for about $6/can. It will take about 5 cans to do the entire car.

Offer the dealer $125 for the whole thing and see if they bite. This is a HUGE profit item for the dealer.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:01 PM
deantwi

Thanks very much everyone! You saved me 750 bucks!!!

I called Rustcheck and they will do undercoating and rust proofing for 200 bucks!

And I will buy that wax for the paint.

Now if there was someway I could share my saving with you all! Beers are on me!! LOL...

Thanks again...

Quick Reply: Undercoat and Paint Protection. Worth It?!