Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

P0442, P0455 2003 Grand Caravan

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 06:58 PM
AWJ
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still getting codes P0455 and P0442. I've replaced the Leak Detection Pump, Vent Valve, Oxy Sensors, fuel filler hose, crankcase tube, air temp sensor and OEM gas cap...all hoses checked and no cracks found...taking my 2002 DGC to dealer
AW

Old 10-08-2012, 12:05 PM
CaravanCaraman

did you replace the plastic clamps with metal hose clamps? as for me when my was throwing all those codes. and i replaced the little hose under the air box. all the hoses on the leak detection pump under the steering rack by the charcoal canister.(really hard to get too) were swollen from power steering fluid leaking down on it. and it busted the plastic caps enough to throw the code. i replaced all my plastic caps. and that one hose.. haven't had the code come back in almost a year now..

Old 10-10-2012, 07:53 PM
AWJ

yes, replaced three broken plastic clamps w/metal clamps...except for the crankcase hose which I replaced, no sign of any other damaged hoses or fluid leaks.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:36 PM
mfahey
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It will be interesting to find out what the dealer comes up with. Another possible source is the seal at the top of the gas tank.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:03 AM
AWJ
Default P0442, P0455 2002 Grand Caravan

Solved...replaced Vacuum hose from PCV valve to top of valve cover with OEM hose. OEM hose has larger opening on end connecting to the valve cover...hose costs $3.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:53 AM
jack lee

Originally Posted by supergordo
Hi everyone.
My van has thrown the EVAP codes. The gas cap was replaced with an aftermarket unit, and that didn't fix either code. I'm probably going to get a MOPAR cap just for good measure.

I'm good with my mechanical skills and luckily all I've had to do on this car in the last 5 years is change fluids and do the brakes.

If anyone can give me a short list of the most common evap hoses that go bad in these vans that would help. I did search the forum for the codes and didn't come up with too much info on the subject.
Thanks for any input!
on my 03 caravan , had smoked several times nothing found , yet a small evap leak an ck engine light . also I had replaced hoses on top and under the air filter box also replaced the purge solenoid valve located near the radiator. did my self did found some bad hoses. an replaced the old purge valve with new mopar part. it been on there for 14 yrs figured wounldnt hurt to replace. but still got the small evap leak an ck engine light back on. having been smoked two different times over the years and the test point cap taken off several times apparently it leaked there. but not detected because the smokers at the garages were testing there,and then screwing the cap back on missing that part. they would still pass the car on inspection but would have the same problem the next year. so I put some gasket sealant on the threads of the little cap ,just to see if light would cut back on again ,trying to cover all bases . well no light anymore problem solved . so always have the guys smoking the car remove and pull hoses off the purge valve to test may save a head ache.think I will remove the test point that has the little cap . so tests will be run from the hose off of the purge valve near the radiator ,if tested sometime down the road . my wife van thanks r bell

Last edited by jack lee; 03-02-2017 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:59 AM
jack lee

Originally Posted by AWJ
Still getting codes P0455 and P0442. I've replaced the Leak Detection Pump, Vent Valve, Oxy Sensors, fuel filler hose, crankcase tube, air temp sensor and OEM gas cap...all hoses checked and no cracks found...taking my 2002 DGC to dealer
AW
on my 03 caravan , had smoked several times nothing found , yet a small evap leak an ck engine light . also I had replaced hoses on top and under the air filter box also replaced the purge solenoid valve located near the radiator. did my self did found some bad hoses. an replaced the old purge valve with new mopar part. it been on there for 14 yrs figured wouldnt hurt to replace. but still got the small evap leak an ck engine light back on. having been smoked two different times over the years and the test point cap taken off several times apparently it leaked there. but not detected because the smokers at the garages were testing there,and then screwing the cap back on missing that part. they would still pass the car on inspection but would have the same problem the next year. so I put some gasket sealant on the threads of the little cap ,just to see if light would cut back on again ,trying to cover all bases . well no light anymore problem solved . so always have the guys smoking the car to pull hoses off the purge valve to test may save a head ache.i will remove that test point ,will make the smokers use the hose off the valve near radiator for the future ,wifes van thanks ronnie bell

Last edited by jack lee; 03-02-2017 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:05 AM
jack lee

Originally Posted by surfit
I'll be watching this thread. My 2002 Caravan has thrown P0456 (small evap leak). I have replaced the gas cap with an OEM cap (locking style) and it did not help. I have performed a "cursory" check of all evap hoses and found no cracks. I plan to clear the CEL code by removing the ground
battery cable and see if my CEL comes back on. If it does, I think I will
have to punt and take the van to the dealer for a smoke/leak test and get
my wallet emptied.
on my 03 caravan , had smoked several times nothing found , yet a small evap leak an ck engine light . also I had replaced hoses on top and under the air filter box also replaced the purge solenoid valve located near the radiator. did my self did found some bad hoses. an replaced the old purge valve with new mopar part. it been on there for 14 yrs figured wouldnt hurt to replace. but still got the small evap leak an ck engine light back on. having been smoked two different times over the years and the test point cap taken off several times apparently it leaked there. but not detected because the smokers at the garages were testing there,and then screwing the cap back on missing that part. they would still pass the car on inspection but would have the same problem the next year. so I put some gasket sealant on the threads of the little cap ,just to see if light would cut back on again ,trying to cover all bases . well no light anymore problem solved . so always have the guys smoking the car remove and pull hoses off the purge valve to test may save a head ache.think I will remove the test point that has the little cap . so tests will be run from the hose off of the purge valve near the radiator ,if tested sometime down the road . my wife van thanks r bell

Old 07-31-2018, 09:22 PM
jheckenk

Hi All,
We have a 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan. It ran fine but had error codes P0442 and P0455. Since we were due for emissions, I had to get the issue fixed and codes cleared. Here's what I did:
Visually inspected all hoses - looked good.
Replaced gas cap.
Replaced EGR vent valve.
Verified EGR Purge solenoid was good.
Ran smoke test several times trying to find leaks - none detected.

After all that, it was still displaying the error codes. I finally took it to a mechanic and he validated my work / troubleshooting and concluded it was the Leak Detection Pump (LDP). He said it was the only thing left in the EGR system that could be failing. I picked up the pump from a local auto parts store (much cheaper than Dodge) and delivered it to the mechanic. He replaced it and 100 miles later, the Check Engine Light was still off! We passed emissions and the 4 weeks later, the light is still off.

Hope this helps some of you.

Regards,

-Jason

Quick Reply: P0442, P0455 2003 Grand Caravan