Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2002 GC Hesitation/choking on acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 03:05 PM
Rinnabean
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2003 and it started doing the same thing. We took it in for a tune up 450 dollars later it seemed to be doing better for a couple of days. Then started again. It seemed if we let it warm up it wouldnt be so bad but now it does it all the time. No codes come up we have changed the fuel filter, cleaned the injecters. Thinking of checking out a new fuel pump but not sure what is actually the problem.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:46 PM
johnnys440charger

Same issue with me.

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport 3.3L
TuneUp recently done
Throttlebody is clean
I recently used Seafoam through the vehicles vacum system

Old 08-04-2012, 09:36 PM
iceman___@hotmail
Default 2002 dodge caravan

i dont get it i have had the van 4 a yr no problems regular tune ups travel a lot. i reached 200000 and it put put stop. new sensors...idle control map ignition getting spark smell gas im stumped

Old 08-05-2012, 03:32 PM
Bee

Sorry! Wow, it's been a while. Hope this helps anyone else that may run into this problem. Turns out I needed a tune up and fuel injection cleaning. It's been running fine ever since.

Warranty also covered a new alternator as mine was "growling" at shut off. A few months down the line I had something even more bizarre happening.

Door locks kept trying to lock by themselves, whether van was on or off, it didn't matter, you could hear it constantly clicking. I took it back to the dealer, they flashed the computer and it stopped for about a week.

It was getting annoying and being that the van is my family vehicle, I didn't want to take any chances with kids getting locked in the van. For some reason I thought maybe the main switch on the driver's door could be making this happen, so I tried to take the door panel off (never did due to afraid of breaking clips). I did however find a 'shop rag' shoved inside the door. Looks like it's been there a while as it was all dry rotted and came apart easily. Well now I don't have to worry about water getting soaked up in the rag and sitting inside my door.

To make a long story short. After having new alternator installed, it was clashing with my battery. Installed a new Diehard and the issue went away.

Now I'm battling the headliner coming down! Ugh! Can't win! LOL

Thanks for those who tried to help me in my desparation. My BIL who is Mopar mechanic kept telling me "Maybe you got bad gas." I didn't think it would have been that simple.

Van is almost at 100,000 miles, have some lights on (engine and ABS lights), but can't find any issues and it still runs like a champ!

Bee

Old 08-19-2012, 09:58 PM
johnnys440charger
Smile

Almost Fixed!

- ok, quick recap: hestitation when accelerating off idle (when stopped). No Check Engine Light.

Finally the van throws a Check Engine Light. P0403 (EGR) & P0601 (PCM/ECM).

Replaced the EGR Valve - Bought @ PartSource for $150. Changed it myself. The hestitation issue when accelerating off idle is GONE!!!!

P0601 still exisits, but my Caravan runs a lot better. Almost back to normal.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:06 PM
bruhay58

Have had very similar issues. Dodge Grand Caravan 2002. Have replaced fuel pump, ignition coil, computer, EGR valve, wires and plugs. Raw fuel was being dumped into the engine. Wires to the computer were fried and were repositioned and then it was stated the wire harness from the intake manifold had to be replaced because of the amount of heat. I have recently had issues with the vehicle not starting which seemed the starter may have gone out. Not the issue. The fan belt was worn and needed to be replaced. Having an issue with the van hesitating at 1300 to 1500 rpms when accelerating whether in gear or idling in park. Any ideas?

Old 07-24-2014, 09:36 PM
Bee

Sorry bruhay58! I haven't had any more hesitation issues since I got the tune up and fuel injection cleaning. As for dumping raw gas, could it be a sensor? I don't know if the GC has a MAP sensor, but we just replaced one in a relatives car. I had an old VW Jetta that was having issues stalling and hesitating and I thought it was the fuel pump, but it turns out it was just a relay going bad. I have never had to even change a fuse in the GC yet.

That being said, a few months back....on my way to work, I noticed the thermostat going above the middle mark when it's normally below. Turns out it was the heater hose.

Just a few weeks ago, I was dropping a relative off at the airport and noticed the needle rising again. Made it home. Coolant was way low.

Had the water pump and upper and lower radiator hoses replaced, along with belts since the van now has over 110,000 miles on it. I also had the valve cover gaskets replaced because they have been seeping oil for the past 3 yrs or so.

Wasn't cheap! Hubby said he would look at it a looooong time ago, but that never happened. My backup car is out of commission, so I had no choice since the GC is the family transporation.

Bee

Quick Reply: 2002 GC Hesitation/choking on acceleration