Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Grinding noise when braking...put new pads on 7 months ago??

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 10:05 PM
smokem10
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding noise when braking...put new pads on 7 months ago??

What could make my brakes grinding? It doesn't do it when we are at low speeds but when we are at 20 mph or above then when I push on the brake pedal I hear grinding....I just had the front brake done about 7 months ago and the rear's done 2 weeks ago. Also replaced both calipers in the rear. There is plenty of meat on the front brake pads, so I don't know what the problem is....any help would be great.

Rocky

Old 03-24-2009, 10:31 PM
petet

You may not have a problem. You may just be hearing noise from the pads. I chased the sound on mine (97 GC) and replaced the front wheel bearings ( one was bad anyway) the CV shafts and have done complete brakes including all new hardware, rebuilt calipers, cross drilled/slotted rotors and carbon/kevlar pads. The sound is worse with the new pads. It sounds like the pads are worn dowm to the metal.
I think it is just the pads. My dad had semi-metallics put on his and his (99 GC) does it too.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:57 PM
smokem10

Originally Posted by petet
You may not have a problem. You may just be hearing noise from the pads. I chased the sound on mine (97 GC) and replaced the front wheel bearings ( one was bad anyway) the CV shafts and have done complete brakes including all new hardware, rebuilt calipers, cross drilled/slotted rotors and carbon/kevlar pads. The sound is worse with the new pads. It sounds like the pads are worn dowm to the metal.
I think it is just the pads. My dad had semi-metallics put on his and his (99 GC) does it too.
This is exactly what it sounds like....so then we just live with it or do I go and get pads from the dealer? Since they never did this when I bought the car.....

Old 03-25-2009, 02:03 PM
petet

The original pads were probably a different formulation with more organics in them so they were quieter. I would bet that if you bought some cheap organic pade the noise would go away but you would also loose breaking performance.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:01 AM
Kevioll
Rookie

I have learned to stay away from semi metallics for the noise issues and because they tend to warp rotors more easily.

Quick Reply: Grinding noise when braking...put new pads on 7 months ago??