Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2005 Dodge Caravan dash lights flicker, radio off, engine dies

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 02:34 PM
Gleznet
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My battery light turned on while driving on the highway. After maybe 30+ minutes my car quit. The tow truck driver checked the alternator charging voltage: 14V, all good. He towed me to an auto parts store and I replaced the battery. Back on the road, it happened again. I noticed that my headlights were flickering. Short $600 horror story, my alternator was replaced and the problem was solved. Lesson learned: the alternator may be intermittent for a while until it goes completely kaput.

Old 02-28-2016, 10:06 PM
VMAN

It's a ground issue. Start with checking the ground cable on battery. Check the connection of the wire to the post connector. Sometimes it gets loose.

Old 07-30-2016, 11:00 AM
edgrammer@hotmail.com

I been having the same issues with 2 other caravans. There are no service bulletins I could find about it, however, I found an automotive course where the instructor and students found that the factory crimps on the ground cables were heating up and causing voltage drops, it is definitely a grounding issue. Instead if trying to mess with the ground cables, I went out and bought 4 guage ground wire and regrounded everything. Probably overkill, but only costed $20 and easy to do, no more flickering guages and power short to instrument cluster and radio. Most of those electrical issues are being caused by halfass wiring engineering.

Old 11-22-2016, 07:39 PM
bearhedge

My 2005 Grand Caravan was doing the Disco with the Dash Lights and Gauges. I found that it can be many things by reading this Forum. Mine was the Power Sliding Door Module Connector on the right side. If you look under the Door in the cavity the wires run through a Black Plastic Chain that flexes as the Door opens and closes. These Wires bend and flex every time you open and close the Door. Two of the seven wires in this Plastic Chain were broken, one of them in three places. The Assembly was easy to remove and replace. Yes this was after I cleaned the Battery Cables and the stud mounts for the negative cable on the Motor and Frame. Exchanged the FCM with my Friend who has the same year Van.

Old 01-09-2018, 12:29 PM
Toolman1
Default My problem found and corrected on an 06 town and country

Originally Posted by missi_71
Hi, I have a 2005 Dodge Caravan and I am having ALOT of things going on with it. The dash lights flicker on and off erratically, radio turns off, airbag lights blink, interior lights blink, bells sometimes ring. It is now starting to die when i stop or slow down. Sometimes it will start right back up and other times it just turns off and i have a complete loss of power, hazzard lights wont even turn on. Then after 30 minutes or so it will start back up with no problem.

I just got it out of the dodge dealership and they have replaced the alternator (4 times), battery, PCM, BCM, fan module, and multiple other things. They have ran a diagnostic on it and the computer shows nothing is wrong. They are at a loss, they have witnessed it and they just have no clue as to what it might be 4,000 dollars later!!! UGGHHH..... Anyone have any ideas??

Thanks
Melissa
Melissa my dash lights headlights everything was wigging out. I noticed for the first tim at night about 3 weeks ago the headlights were also flickering. The fuse box under the hood I believe it is called the IPDN module. I disconnected the battery and unplugged all of the connectors underneath the box and removed the box. The box came apart in three different pieces

Old 02-16-2018, 02:55 PM
Paul Adams

I think I have found the general area of the problem - it is a wiring issue on my 2005 Grand Caravan. I purchased it in Arizona where Packrats are really bad. There is a lot of damage to the shielding and to wire casings on several wires between the starter and relay fuse box under drivers side of the hood. Best access is underneath. Check all grounds and wires. Unplug and electrical grease all fittings and make sure to replace any damaged wires and tape or rubber coat all bare and newly connected wires. This situation had me puzzled and the mechanics I asked to look at it, could not figure it out - they suggest alternator, battery, blah blah blah. Very expensive to just start replacing things before returning to basics and testing all connections. Hope this information helps. BTW I am not a trained mechanic but my cars never see one and I keep them on the road saving thousands in the process.

Quick Reply: 2005 Dodge Caravan dash lights flicker, radio off, engine dies