Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Where do I start?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 07:48 AM
greaper_ca
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Where do I start?

Ok, need some advice, ideas bla bla bla. You guys have never failed me before.

Driving on the QEW on our way to Ottawa in bumper to bumper traffic (What's up with the traffic on a Sat!). My CEL comes on and I manage to get off and park at a station in Oakville. I check the codes and I get 645, 122, 204, 1598, 1496.

I have 2001 Caravan w/ a 3.3

P122 is the TPS
p204 is the #4 circuit?. (this one puzzles me as my van is now running rough and it seems like it's missing)
p645 is AC clutch.
p1496 is sensor feed is low voltage....huh???
p1598 is AC pressure sensor.

p645 and p1598 I'm not too worried about. I knew I was low on the AC but this never shown up until now. It's P122, P204 and P1496 are the main ones I'm concerned about.

I did make it to Ottawa and plan on heading back today (Sunday) to Burlington.

Question is. Could all these codes be interconnected? I plan on fixing it on Monday. I was hoping it would correct itself but it looks like it won't.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by greaper_ca; 05-03-2009 at 08:17 PM.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:52 PM
Nofrag
Champion

They could very likely all be connected, as it would be strange for a bunch of different electrical problems to happen all at once. The one possible cause that all of those issues have in common is bad PCM.

Trouble Code: P0122

TP Sensor Circuit Low Input
Possible Causes:

• TP Sensor VREF (5v) circuit is open or shorted to ground
  • TP Sensor 5v supply circuit is shorted to ground
  • TP Sensor signal circuit is shorted to ground
  • TP Sensor is damaged or it has failed
  • Possible intermittent condition
  • PCM has failed
Trouble Code: P0204

Injector 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6 Control
Possible Causes:
  • ASD relay output circuit failure
  • Fuel injector has malfunctioned or failed
  • Fuel injector control circuit is open or shorted to ground
  • PCM has failed
Trouble Code: P0645

A/C Clutch Relay Circuit Malfunction
Possible Causes:
  • Internally fused ignition switch output circuit is faulty
  • A/C relay clutch control circuit is open or it is shorted to ground
  • A/C relay clutch power supply (fused ignition) circuit is open
  • A/C relay is damaged or it has failed
  • PCM has failed
Trouble Code: P1496

5-Volt VREF Supply Voltage Too Low
Possible Causes:
  • A/C pressure Sensor has failed (a short to ground condition)
  • MAP Sensor has failed (a short to ground condition)
  • TP Sensor has failed (a short to ground condition)
  • PCM has failed
Trouble Code: P1598

A/C Pressure Sensor Circuit High Input
Possible Causes:
  • A/C pressure Sensor circuit is open or shorted to VREF (5v)
  • A/C pressure Sensor ground circuit is open
  • A/C pressure Sensor is damaged or has failed
  • PCM has failed

Old 05-04-2009, 10:04 AM
greaper_ca

OK I disconnected and reconnected the battery. Now all I'm getting is P0204. I'd like to rule out the PCM. I'm hoping it's a wiring problem.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:49 AM
Nofrag
Champion

Well if you hit the wrecking yard you should be able to pickup a few injectors for cheap. You back in Burlington now? If so head to Mega City recycling, I used to work there so I know they're dirt cheap at that yard, and they have lots of caravans. They won't have any on the shelf though, as far as I know it's still a u-pick yard, so bring a few tools. To make sure you bring the right tools, just remove your bad injector and make note of what tools you needed to get it out.

Directions for mega city from burlington:
Take 403 or 407(whatever you like, 407 will be much faster cuz you have to go a fair bit north), to Trafalgar, Go north on trafalgar to Steeles. You're gonna turn left onto Steeles and take that to 6th line. Turn right at 6th(might be the word rather than the number) line, and head north until you see the the yard, it'll be on the left side after one or 2 stop signs, I can't quite remember.

I have a much faster back roads route, but it would be too hard to explain the journey lol.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:34 AM
greaper_ca

Originally Posted by Nofrag
Well if you hit the wrecking yard you should be able to pickup a few injectors for cheap. You back in Burlington now? If so head to Mega City recycling, I used to work there so I know they're dirt cheap at that yard, and they have lots of caravans. They won't have any on the shelf though, as far as I know it's still a u-pick yard, so bring a few tools. To make sure you bring the right tools, just remove your bad injector and make note of what tools you needed to get it out.

Directions for mega city from burlington:
Take 403 or 407(whatever you like, 407 will be much faster cuz you have to go a fair bit north), to Trafalgar, Go north on trafalgar to Steeles. You're gonna turn left onto Steeles and take that to 6th line. Turn right at 6th(might be the word rather than the number) line, and head north until you see the the yard, it'll be on the left side after one or 2 stop signs, I can't quite remember.

I have a much faster back roads route, but it would be too hard to explain the journey lol.
Thanks for the directions. Never been to Mega City. I'll check that place out some time this summer as I've got other car projects on the go. I did however go to Mike's in Stoney Creek on Mud st. and picked up a couple of injectors and a few other parts. The guy at the counter gave them to me for free so bonus on that. I realized how eazy it is to take out the injectors so I'll be replacing those if the weather cooperates. The van also started to give me error code P0304, which is misfiring on cylinder 4. I'm thinking plugs or wires now.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:35 PM
Nofrag
Champion

well if the injector is dead, then there would be no fire in number 4. So it's all starting to make sense. Glad I could help. I was at mikes on saturday lol, did you make the same mistake I did and go to the hwy 20 yard first? lol I didn't know they moved and it's been almost a year since I had been there.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:56 PM
greaper_ca

Well, I took a long screwdriver and placed it on the injector and the other end against my ear. Heard no clicking. Checked 2 cylinder and 6 cylinder, there was clicking. So now I'm thinking the injector.

Old 05-05-2009, 05:29 PM
Nofrag
Champion

And the AC codes still haven't come back yet?

Old 05-06-2009, 05:36 AM
greaper_ca

And the AC codes still haven't come back yet?
Nope the AC codes haven't come back. Ever since I disconnected/connected the battery. I just get 1684, 204, 304 now. Mind you, I did disconnect the low AC pressure connection and tested the compressor clutch prior to all this happening which may explain the AC related codes.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:49 AM
greaper_ca

well if the injector is dead, then there would be no fire in number 4. So it's all starting to make sense. Glad I could help. I was at mikes on saturday lol, did you make the same mistake I did and go to the hwy 20 yard first? lol I didn't know they moved and it's been almost a year since I had been there.
I knew of the one on Mud st. for years. I did however frequented the one on 20 before they stopped you from taking off your own parts which is about 10+ years ago. I've got an RX7 that I'm working on restoring but minimal parts there. So it's always nice to find other yards that I can go visit and see what they have.

Quick Reply: Where do I start?