Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Auto door locks keep clicking as if trying to lock

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 08:11 PM
Bee
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Auto door locks keep clicking as if trying to lock

Hello,

My 2002 GC Sport just started acting very whacky.

Last night noticed that the interior lights came on all by themselves. Made sure remotes weren't mashed by something.

This morning, van started, but then I heard that dreadful 'ding' and the battery light illuminated. Went to a few places without any issues, then noticed that my auto door locks kept trying to lock when they were already locked.

Made sure all doors were properly closed. Then started van again and doors locked right after taking it out of Park (which it has never done before; my van always locks doors at like 20 mph).

On the 15 mile drive home, heard locks clicking maybe 40 more times. At one point they clicked 10 times in a row and then nothing for several minutes.

Any ideas? A loose wire? A short? Moisture causing a short?

If you've been watching the news you will see that Central Florida has had an abundance of rain this past week. We were fortunate that we haven't had any flooding in this area though (already dealt with that from Tropical Storm Faye last year).

Thanks in advance!

Bee

Old 06-11-2009, 08:08 PM
Bryntray
Default heres your help

had same problems, you need to check door contacts where electrical connections are made when doors are closed. it thinks doors are opening and closing thats why locks and light are doing that, play with them push in and out jiggle them ,i had my problems after a moist day. i used a scrub pad and cleaned contacts and made sure everything was tight screws may come loose or need to be tightened ...lemme kno what happens

bry

Old 06-13-2009, 02:13 PM
Bee

Thanks! I'll check that out! I haven't noticed it doing it again until today. Gonna have hubby look it over for me.

Weird thing, I noticed that the drain holes at the bottom of the driver's door was plugged with something. So I pulled it out and it was an old, greasy shop towel that was soaking wet. It must have been in there a while as it was dry rotted. So somebody has had something done in that door (possibly window motor).

That was a few days ago and we haven't had any rain recently and the locks did that cute trick again about 6 times.

Gonna wait for the sun to go down before venturing outside today, it's a whopping 94 degrees!

Thanks and I will let you know if it works! It's draining my battery!

Bee

Old 06-16-2009, 02:44 PM
Bee

I checked what I could and cleaned contacts. It did it again! GRRR! So I did another search online and read that a lot of the 2005's are having issues as well and most of what I read is that there is no permanent fix for this issue.

It said to pull the fuse, wait 5 seconds and re-insert. I did it and I'm hoping it works like they said. A lot of people went and had BCM re-flashed or replaced and they still had problems with the locks.

Great!

Bee

Old 06-27-2009, 09:14 AM
hs545

Had the same problem on my '97, cleaning etc. did not fix, replaced the faulty door switch, no more clicking. The key is to determine which switch is causing the problem, it can be any of the door switches.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:39 PM
Bee

Well it's been 3 weeks since I pulled the fuse. I haven't heard any clicking in a while.

I did however have my battery indicator light go on so I brought it to the dealer and they re-flashed my bcm. We shall see if that problem goes away. I replaced battery anyway because it was 4 yrs old. Alternator checks out fine.

What next? Good thing I still have my trusty old Saturn!

Bee

Old 03-11-2016, 09:58 PM
Bee

Just FYI, I have now owned my minivan for 8 yrs now and know it pretty well. If you run into this problem, it can be an indicator that your battery and/or alternator needs to be replaced. I had an old battery and replaced the alternator and the door locks were still playing their games. Put a new battery in and no more issues.

BTW, in the past 8 years, I've replaced the alternator twice, this time putting a higher voltage alternator in. We shall see.

Bee

Quick Reply: Auto door locks keep clicking as if trying to lock