Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Can't open rear tailgate more than 5 inches!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 09:11 AM
TEACHER
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't open rear tailgate more than 5 inches!

Hello,

I tried to open the rear tailgate of my 2005 Dodge Caravan yesterday, but I could not get it to open more than 5 inches!! I thought something was blocking it, but there was nothing that I could see.

I saw that BOTH tailgate lift supports (one on each side of the tailgate) seemed to be coming off from where they are attached to on the tailgate.

Could this be the problem with me not being able to lift the tailgate up further than the 5 inches???

If so, how easy is it to replace these lift supports? (It doesn't seem like it would be too difficult)

Thanks,
Matt

Old 06-24-2009, 10:41 AM
rareram
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you really try to open the gate further or is it just as far as the lifts will let it go? Those things are very heavy. If you really put some effort in and it'll go higher the lifts are toast.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:28 AM
TEACHER

Thanks for your reply.

I never put my foot on the bumper and gave it a huge pull... but I did put some effort into it and it would not budge anymore after I unlocked it (using the latch) and got it to move ~ 5 inches outward!!

I think the lift supports may need to be replaced... I'll go have a good pull on the tailgate tonight to see for sure.

Thanks.

Last edited by TEACHER; 06-24-2009 at 02:37 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:00 PM
JoeC1981
Professional

Not sure where you live but i live in WI and get a ton of snow which = salt = rust and the lift supports on my tailgate are rusting on the smooth end where it connects to the tailgate. It does move a few inches and then needs a good umph to get it open. Either way as posted before, you'll need new supports. I haven't had a chance to change mine yet, but they're not hard. just make sure the tailgate is supported well or you'll be sore in the morning.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:25 AM
TEACHER

Originally Posted by JoeC1981
Not sure where you live but i live in WI and get a ton of snow which = salt = rust and the lift supports on my tailgate are rusting on the smooth end where it connects to the tailgate. It does move a few inches and then needs a good umph to get it open. Either way as posted before, you'll need new supports. I haven't had a chance to change mine yet, but they're not hard. just make sure the tailgate is supported well or you'll be sore in the morning.

Thanks for your help. I pulled on the tailgate handle last night harder than I previously did, and it eventually moved all the way up, but I had to put some lubricant to help it out.

I am going to order some new ones.

Quick Reply: Can't open rear tailgate more than 5 inches!