Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Struts on 2003 GC a DIY job?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 12:52 PM
Dan400Man
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Struts on 2003 GC a DIY job?

I need to replace the struts on my 2003 GC Sport. These are the factory originals with over 100k miles on them. Belle Tire also informed me that the mounts were bad after I complained about noise. They want over $800 to do both sides. ...groan...

So, I need to look at the possibility of doing this myself. I figure at a minimum, I need to get the wheel off the ground. I have two hydraulic jacks that are both capable of lifting the wheel off the ground. As far as my DIY experience goes, really only little stuff, like changing brake pads, rotors, and calipers, replacing radiators, sway bar links, etc.

Based on that, does anyone have any advice on the feasibility of doing this myself? I understand there are special tools required, but beyond that, I have no idea what's involved in replacing struts and mounts, and whether other parts should "automatically" be replaced when replacing those parts.

Is anyone aware of an online video showing a strut replacement?

TIA,
Dan

Old 07-17-2009, 08:09 PM
JoeC1981
Professional

I did the struts on my 05 GC SXT, but I didn't bother with spring compressors etc. I got a quick strut assembly. Its a complete unit that you just bolt right in. New springs, isolators, mounts and of course strut. Only issue I had was getting the old strut bolts out. One they were out it took maybe 10min to put the new strut back in.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:15 PM
Kevioll
Rookie

Same here with the quick struts, especially if you need the mounts anyway, got mine for about $300 for the pair, most difficult thing for me was separating the sway bar link from the old strut (corrosion issues), I ended up cutting it off and replacing it also (another $45 part). Aside from that issue, would have taken me less than an hour to do the whole job (both sides)

Old 07-17-2009, 10:51 PM
Dan400Man
Professional

Originally Posted by JoeC1981
I did the struts on my 05 GC SXT, but I didn't bother with spring compressors etc. I got a quick strut assembly. Its a complete unit that you just bolt right in. New springs, isolators, mounts and of course strut. Only issue I had was getting the old strut bolts out. One they were out it took maybe 10min to put the new strut back in.
Thanks Joe! I was wondering about just getting the complete assembly, especially since I have to replace the mounts as well. Advance Auto has the Monroe Quick Strut w/ Sensa-Trac for $191 each. (part 171572L/R) Is that a decent price? (Amazon sells the pair for $312 w/ free shipping.) Along with the AK71 adapter kit (2 bolts and nuts for the bottom mount), are you suggesting that this all I'd need parts-wise?

I'm still unclear as to how I would take the old assembly unit out and put the new unit in. Do I have to worry about anything decompressing / expanding when I loosen the bolts? Or is that only if I'm replacing the strut by itself, leaving the spring? Is it really as simple as removing the strut tower bolts and the lower strut bolt to remove the entire assembly?

Will the alignment be so messed up by doing this that I would have to get an alignment done right away? (FWIW, I'm putting off buying new tires until after I replace the struts.)

Thanks again!

Old 07-18-2009, 01:34 PM
Dan400Man
Professional

Originally Posted by Kevioll
Same here with the quick struts, especially if you need the mounts anyway, got mine for about $300 for the pair, most difficult thing for me was separating the sway bar link from the old strut (corrosion issues), I ended up cutting it off and replacing it also (another $45 part). Aside from that issue, would have taken me less than an hour to do the whole job (both sides)
Where did you get yours for $300? That sounds like a good price. Were they the Sensa-trac struts? (I don't know whether Monroe makes quick struts that don't use Sensa-trac, so that's why I ask.) Anyone have an opinion of the Sensa-tracs over the factory installed struts?

I know about sway bar links. Had to replace the originals on a '97 Saturn earlier this year. In fact, I know I have to do them on the GC as well, so this will be a good project to do all that in.

TIA,
Dan

Old 07-22-2009, 11:13 AM
rhinoman

I replaced struts last summer by myself. Since my neighbour had the spring compressors I opted for just the Monroe Sensatracs (on sale at Partsource for $112 each).

The quickstrut assembly is very handy, but was pricey for me at the time.

If you go with the assembly, it's (3) bolts on the top and (2) on the bottom I believe. As mentioned, there's a few things to disconnect. I had a hell of a time with a plastic topped bolt on one of the sway bar links, but got it worked out.

Rhino.

Quick Reply: Struts on 2003 GC a DIY job?