Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Throttle problems??

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 11:47 AM
lowdownkilla
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like your problem is different than my problem. If your check engine light is coming on even when you start it, You need to take it up to any local (not sure what you have) O'reilly's, Napa, Advanced auto parts, Auto Zone etc.. they will hook a computer up to your van and see exactly what is throwing the codes. It is free too. A lot of times, you can just let them hold on to your drivers license and they will let you borrow it and you can do it in the parking lot. Mine has probably thrown 4 codes in the last year or two, and it threw them when it wasn't acting up. I did find out that I do not have a EGR valve, as mine is the base model, but when I cleaned out that filter in the air box, I remember also shot some carb cleaner in the inlet of the air intake right on the motor. There is a sensor in there.. AIC - it was gummed up. I sprayed the crap out of it and it seems to be working fine now.

Old 07-25-2009, 02:49 PM
spudler
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you misunderstood I get no check engine light. it is working but I have no light or nothing when it is running, and like I mentioned if I disconnect the battery when it is acting up even if I pull over do it for 1 min as soon as i reconnect and drive away it is fine again. and it works fine for anywhere from 3 hrs to 2 days depends.
I took it to Autozone they said I am getting no codes. I guess whatever it is its something thet is not sending any error codes to the computer.
As bad as it runs I would think the computer could tell something was wrong but I guess not.

Old 07-25-2009, 02:58 PM
spudler

I am not sure about mine all I know is it is a caravan C/V. I assume that is cargo van because it looks like the back seat is aftermarket like it never had a back seat when new. Plus it only has 1 back bench instead of 2 like I see alot. It's a 3.0L V6 with AT and A/C I never noticed any sensors in the throttle body when I was looking at it. I changed the engine a couple years ago and I can't remember if I had to use my original intake or if I used the one that was on the used engine I bought. I think I had to change exhaust but used all the feul system that came with the used engine. I wish I could remember more now, but it never really acted up until last winter it started dying when it was cold. If we took off to fast it would choke and die so I just let it warm up and it was fine. I had a 1970 Duster with a 383 I had put in and it did that, so I just let it warm up when cold outside. I just thought it was a dodge cold blooded thing lol

Old 07-25-2009, 03:01 PM
spudler

you said you got codes when it wasn't acting up?? they said I wouldn't have any codes unless the check engine light was on. Did you get some codes without the check engine light on. I can run it in to them again when it is running funny and have them connect the reader because whatever it is the computer will continue to duplicate the problem until I reset it.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:30 AM
Roadraider

Here is a link to my thread from 2 years ago when I was battling with the same thing on my wifes GC: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-c...-coasting.html

I was battling that thing for over 4 months and it was driving me insane because it was so intermittent and there were never, ever any freaking codes!

Changed fuel pump and everything else you can thing about. Finally, an old timer told me to check on the MAP sensor (sitting on the throttle body). Sure enough it was totally and completely gummed up. Didn't even bother cleaning it cause the replacement was a little over $20.

Took me all of 2 mins to replace. It's been 2 whole years since and have never had this happen again.

Good luck!

Old 08-09-2009, 07:42 PM
spudler

Map sensor was good. It turned out to be the O2 sensor. I got no CK engine light no codes (worthless computers). I basically tried and errored it I keep disconnecting sensors and everyone made the engine run worse or not at all then when I got to the O2 sensor nothing happened so I left it disconnected and drove it around for about 3 days no problems at all. I went and got a new one for $45.00 installed it and it runs like a champ.
I cannot believe that the computer never realized the sensor was bad and as terrible as it ran I never got one single code out of it.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:43 PM
spudler

Map sensor was good. It turned out to be the O2 sensor. I got no CK engine light no codes (worthless computers). I basically tried and errored it I keep disconnecting sensors and everyone made the engine run worse or not at all then when I got to the O2 sensor nothing happened so I left it disconnected and drove it around for about 3 days no problems at all. I went and got a new one for $45.00 installed it and it runs like a champ.
I cannot believe that the computer never realized the sensor was bad and as terrible as it ran I never got one single code out of it.

Old 11-05-2021, 05:21 PM
Tra

Originally Posted by spudler
I seen where someone mentioned Autozone and that they will check for codes??
I have never used them for that because my other cars were to old and they said they couldn't check the codes. Will they be able to check on a 92? that would save me a lot of money and I may be able to change whatever is the problem without having to take it to a shop.
I'm pretty sure they can check for codes on a 92, they checked codes on my 87' Oldsmobile when I had it.

Quick Reply: Throttle problems??