Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan problems....please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 10:10 AM
majorchamp
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan problems....please help

I will try and keep this as short as possible.

Type: 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan

Problem: When traveling close to 45 miles per hour with my foot barely pressing the gas pedal, the van goes through a series of "hiccups" like its not getting enough fuel or something, but the van has no problem speeding up or slowing down at any time. The van just goes through these minor shakes/vibrations when this occurs. You can feel the van have these minor "slow downs" as if someone is pressing the break quickly and temporarily, but then releasing it, but doing so in rapid succession. I also tend to notice this more when it has rained or is humid out.

A new issue began recently where if I am going 50 or so, and the RPM's range around 1700-2000, and I let go of the gas....the RPM needle drops to about 1000, but then for 3-5 seconds the needle bounces between 1000-1500 RPM's very quickly...which I can feel in the vehicle, like its speeding up/slowing down very quickly within those 3-5 seconds.

Solutions to date that have failed:

1. Performed a transmission flush
2. Replaced all 6 spark plugs and wires
3. Replaced the ignition coil pack (which is what the spark plug wires connect to)
4. Replaced the Throttle Position sensor

I have been told by several people they don't think its a transmission issue since the vehicle has no problems speeding up to 70mph very quickly...aka there is no slipping or anything.

I encourage anyone with more vehicle knowledge then myself to please chime in.

Thanks!!!

Old 08-06-2009, 12:54 PM
kev2
Veteran

more info is always good...
SOME BASIC GET STARTED QUESTIONS
vehicle is STOCK?
are you origional owner?
Is the CEL on? does it comeon @5sec on start up?
any recient repairs- accident -?
3.3 or 3.8 eng?

I am not a fan* of commercial ""flushing" because many if's especially did the shop doing the flush use ATF4 or the more common universal fits none type fluid?

*personal opinion.

Last edited by kev2; 08-06-2009 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:08 PM
kev2
Veteran

could someone post a copy of TSB 18-023-04, so origional poster can see if symptons listed match complaint...

majorchamp I did a quick search and found the tsb sorry I can't add attachment hoping someone else can but this is basicallly a reflash.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:21 PM
majorchamp

Originally Posted by kev2
vehicle is STOCK?
are you origional owner?
3.3 or 3.8 eng?

I am not a fan* of commercial ""flushing" because many if's especially did the shop doing the flush use ATF4 or the more common universal fits none type fluid?

*personal opinion.
No, I am not original owner. I believe its only been in 1 other person's possession before myself. I have had it for 3 years.

No check engine lights are on. No accidents, no recent repairs.

I have noticed the hiccups occur often more when its damp/humid out, or after it has rained. A friend thinks its a fuel filter issue and/or electrical. he recommended changing the fuel filter, and then adding contact cleaner to any electrical area.

Also, the RPM revving issue I have going on occured after changing the ignition coil pack. Prior to this, I did not experience the RPM issue. My friend wonders if something was knocked loose or not tightened when replacing the ignition coil pack.

Please note...the RPM revving issue and the hiccups are two separate issues...though possibly related I guess.

btw - 3.8 - 2 wheel drive.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:23 PM
majorchamp

Originally Posted by kev2
vehicle is STOCK?
are you origional owner?
3.3 or 3.8 eng?

*personal opinion.
btw - car-x did the flush...not sure the type of fluid they put it either. It cost like $100.

Old 08-08-2009, 02:59 AM
MartymanVR6
Rookie

Had the same problem or very close at the shop last week......took me a ****load of time to find the problem......no check engine nothing grrrrrrr.

Finaly found the trouble it was the damn EGR valve that got stucked in gum and crap.....I cleaned it with throttle body cleaner and a vaccuum pump to make it move......car runs amazing now.....

I would look for that....

Quick Reply: 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan problems....please help