Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Rear Liftgate Lock Actuator Puzzle

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 11:00 AM
drewc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Liftgate Lock Actuator Puzzle

96' Grand Caravan:

The liftgate is only (un)locking with the key. The keyless entry remote and the lock buttons on the front doors have no effect. The auto lock signal at apx 15 miles per hour also has no effect.

I removed the panels from the liftgate and checked it out. I hooked a multimeter to the the two wires for the Actuator. When I pressed the buttons for lock and unlock I saw pulses on the meter which seems to indicate good signal.

I then removed the Actuator and with some wires I tested it on the battery, both ways. It works fine.

So I am getting a signal and the actuator works, they just don't work together.

I thought it might be tension in the mechanical lock so I tested the actuator on the van, connected to the wiring but not to the lock. It does not work.

Has anybody else experienced anything like this?

Any suggestions?

Last edited by drewc; 08-21-2009 at 11:04 AM.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:48 PM
utkan

How about the button(the one you press right by the licence plate to open). Did you confirm it shorts when you press it. I have the same problem on my 05 caravan liftgate(w/o power lift) I haven't had I chance to remove the actuator and test but that was what i was going to start with then to to button then body control module.
Hope this helps.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:41 PM
drewc

OK, just in case anybody needs to know:

There are these things called PTCs in the wiring diagram for the door locks.

Look under the dash, on the left side. See the fuses? Look higher, see the relays? Look higher still, see those yellow tabs sticking out of the housing (junction block) that the relays and fuses plug into? Those are the PTCs. One of mine was bad. Unfortunately you must replace the whole housing just to replace any of these PTCs.

If you ever need to replace a Junction Block take a look at the left side of it. There should be a white letter - for my 96' Grand it was an "H". The replacement MUST have the same letter... MUST!

Also, just in case anyone is interested: the wiring for the 96s is unique. In 96 they introduced a new wiring harness, etc. Then in 97 they "improved" the wiring in several places. That is why you will find things like the liftgate actuator on the 96 has two wires, the 97 has three, etc.

The wiring on the 96 has been a COMPLETE nightmare for me. I have replaced everything but the wires themselves in the last 3 years.

BE WARNED!

Last edited by drewc; 09-16-2009 at 06:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear Liftgate Lock Actuator Puzzle