Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Vehicle Dies - No Ck Eng Light, then restarts after 10 minutes

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 04:29 AM
John Hubertz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Vehicle Dies - No Ck Eng Light, then restarts after 10 minutes

I've got a problem with my beloved AWD 1994 Caravan 159,000 miles - late this summer it began having an occasional missfire

it feels like it is running out of gas

lately it will actually die - usually at a light, and then not restart for about 10 minutes!

But - no check engine light.... thus I'm wondering, could it be the fuel pump or is there some other likely direction you might point me?

I've not yet had a chance to check fuel pressure or mist gasoline into the intake plenum (to see if it restarts then dies) when it acts up - but am wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem with a Caravan - I'm technically savvy but as a friend had been using it till this came up I've not checked the basics yet when it quits - (spark etc)

any Caravan lovers out there have any tips or likely culprits as I dig into this next week? (fixed income so I have to wait till December 1st)

Thanks!

John
FtWayne Indiana USA

Old 11-28-2009, 07:56 AM
92dak5.24x4
Veteran

Well, there are so many possible things it could be but without proper diagnostic equipment it's all pure speculation. Sure it could be a fuel pump and you could just go ahead and put in another. or it could be a bad crank sensor or bad cam sensor or wiring problem or computer problem or cracked flex plate, or something else. So the tip is you need to do a fuel pressure test and you need a scanner and read data when the engine dies to see what is dropping out to stall the engine.

Old 11-28-2009, 05:13 PM
vabear
Professional
Default Dies after 10 minutes

Had that happen to me and it was a crankshaft position sensor that went bad, she would not code with a cold engine, I had to code her right after she died.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:43 PM
Pablodragon
All Star

I vote for the fuel pump. Had a 96 Caravan that was doing the same thing...would run great, then...and especially scary on the freeway!...would just die....could let it sit for a while then it would start back up and run ok..for a while...never did get a code, but pretty much narrowed it down to the fuel pump (overheating?).

Traded it in, with the problem, for an 06 GC

Old 12-06-2009, 07:11 PM
Roadraider

When was the last time you replaced your MAP sensor? After so many years it should be all gummed up and causing this.

Do a search for a thread I had about 1.5 years ago where I dealt with the exact same problem. Started intermittent like that, 10 mins later it would start and over time it got to the point it would not be drivable at all.

No codes, no conditions and impossible to duplicate. Pulled MAP sensor and it was really gummed. Replaced and immediately went away and have never had an issue since. Costs ~$25 and takes maybe 10 mins to replace.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:04 AM
YuNVme

Had the same problem with mine, I forget which sensor it is, but there is a sensor mounted upside down near the Alternator with a vacuum line going to the engine. The plugs on them get bad after age. All i had to do was unplug it spay some contact cleaner on the pins, and problem went away. Also spray some throttle body cleaner into the Air Intake.

Quick Reply: Vehicle Dies - No Ck Eng Light, then restarts after 10 minutes