Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Transmission Pan - RTV use???

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 03:05 PM
jkimchi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Pan - RTV use???

Hoping some one can assist with using MOPAR RTV for the transmission pan (eg. my first time not using the reuseable gasket due to price).

Question is: Do I apply a thin bead on the transmission pan, let it cure for an hour, and attach the pan to the transmission body?

Or with the Mopar RTV, do I just apply thin bead on pan, and immediately attach (with in 10 mins of application of RTV)?

Just needed your thoughts and opinions on using RTV to make the transmission pan gasket.

Much appreciated

Old 03-23-2010, 03:24 PM
trophyslayer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used the mopar rtv for the first time this last weekend, with out any problems

make sure your pan is clean, I put a small bead the whole way around pan, I also, made circles around all bolt holes
I waited till the rtv started to get a little tacky, about 10mins, then I was laying under the van balancing the pan on one, hand, and with the other, I wiped the one spot that was still dripping from the transmission, I wiped the spot that was dripping and then went up inside edge of the trans where the one spot was dripping then quickly pushed the pan up and held it there and put 4 corner bolts in hand tight, then I went and added rest of the bolts

make sure to have the 4 bolts ready and easy to reach, and after i put the rtv on the pan, I made sure it had no breaks in the bead, I added alittle more to a few places that seemed thin

Old 03-23-2010, 03:32 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you don't need to let it cure at all, just put it on the pan and bolt the pan up.

Quick Reply: Transmission Pan - RTV use???