Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

ATF and filter change - service interval

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 04:07 PM
jkimchi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATF and filter change - service interval

Hoping you could be of assistance re: the Caravan's automatic transmission. I managed to do my own ATF/filter change myself at 95,000km, but when I was placing the pan back on, I noticed there were helicoils located where the transmission pan bolts were to be placed (dealer dropped the pan the last time and did not tell me). As a result, I could not get them to torque and tightened and had to take it in to get the transmission helicoiled so that I could torque to specs (not fun since I did not have access to a heli coil kit .

As I was in the stealership, they asked me why I was dropping my pan again. Stealer did pan drop/filter change at 75,000km.

Here's the kicker: The service advisor stated that I only need to change the fluid/filter on these things every approx. 100,000km (!?).

My rule is to drop every 20,000km-25,000km since I purchased the van used at 50,000km.

He stated that since there were helicoils in there, best not to drop until the approx. 175,000km-200,000km mark. (I know of timeserts, but needed a helicoil solution fast).

This is where I get confused. Different people say different things.
What service interval should one propose for the ATF/filter change?

Wondering what you guys do it at?

Second thing- Also my damn power steering is starting to shudder at a stop or idle in neutral, and will now have to replace both the cooler and power steering pipes as per their TSB.
Stealer stated that I could just drive this thing around without any internal steering issues. But would like to ask the experts here, since the damn parts are four weeks back ordered.

Any clarity would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by jkimchi; 03-30-2010 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:58 PM
trophyslayer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what year van?

I have a 2006 and the severe service says to do it at 120k miles unless driving as a taxi/limo then do it at 60k

my service adviser told me that since the area i live at has a lot of stop and go traffic to do it every 60k,

Old 03-30-2010, 07:04 PM
jkimchi

Thanks TS- Much appreciated for your prior help also.
Sorry for the lack of information previous.
To provide more details-

The van is a 2004, 3.3L

Old 03-31-2010, 09:00 PM
vman858
Amateur

I have a 2004 with 3.8 and change every 30K miles. My pan has three bolts that where stripped when I got it. I just put the cheese whiz trans gasket sealer from napa on it put all the bolts in and let it dry overnight before adding fluid. It has never leaked a drop and it not easy to get the pan off at the next chamge.
Vince
2004 ex 170K

Quick Reply: ATF and filter change - service interval