Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 03:58 PM
Atremblay
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pump

hi all i recently replaced the mechanical fuel pump on my 1986 caravan for an electric one that is 5.5-9 psi however i just discovered that it is not regulating it's own pressure like it is supposed to so it is flooding my van. and i would like to know if there is anything i can do about it as it seems fine while you are driving but when idling is when it causes the problem. i have not used many electric pumps before but it seems to me as though it should not do this.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:42 PM
vabear
Professional
Default Fuel Pump

I am sure a technician will weigh in here, but on my '96 3.3 liter with electric pump, there is a fuel pressure regulator.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:46 PM
Atremblay

i am thinking of a regulator as it is carberated so it does not normally have a regulator, and the pump is supposed to be self regulating.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:59 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

how do you know it is fuel pressure? Do you have a guage on it? What engine is it, 2.2, 2.5, 2.6? More than likely you have a carburator issue and not a pressure issue.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:54 AM
vabear
Professional
Default Fuel Pump

Tizzy may have hit the nail on the head, my brain is stuck in fuel injection, however if you have a carburator model, then a stuck or malfunctioning float would flood the engine.

Quick Reply: fuel pump