Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

96 Caravan 3.0 water pump

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 07:52 AM
2-Cups
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Caravan 3.0 water pump

Hello,

I have a 1996 Caravan 3.0 with 70,000 miles on it. It ran hot the other day, and I also noticed a strong smell of gas when parked.

I had it checked, and the results were quoted:

It needs a new water pump, timing belt, fuel regulator (under the intake), and related seals/gaskets.
$600.00 (est) parts & labor.

Sound about right to everyone (problem & price)?

I know it's a 1996, but it is in great shape for that year, and as stated above, only 70,000 miles.

Thanks,
2-Cups

Old 04-27-2010, 03:35 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd try a t-stat before I went with the water pump. The fuel pressure regulator I'm on board with, could even give you a long crank time issue.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:01 PM
2-Cups

We put some pressure to the radiator (pumped it up), and the water pump was leaking. You're right about the long-time cranking issue concerning the fuel regulator. I had started to notice the cranking was taking a bit longer, but the fuel smell around the van (while setting in the driveway) became very prominent in the past week or so. I would think the T-Stat would be changed along with the water pump (I always changed them when I was able to work on these things), but I had better double check and insist on it to be sure.

Thanks again,
2-Cups

Old 04-27-2010, 05:06 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

good price too because labor is almost 6 hours so in my shop that's over $600 befor even parts

Old 04-27-2010, 06:07 PM
2-Cups

Thanks for the responses and the information. I feel a little bit better now about the concerns I had with this. It's been a long time since I was able to mess with these things, due to failing health, and I always use caution after being ripped off so many times now. It's getting to be a sad situation anymore, leaving trust by the wayside for profit.

It appears the some would rather scam a few, instead of serve many these days!

Have a great day
2-Cups

Old 04-27-2010, 06:32 PM
mfahey
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have them check the tensioner as well just in case(Having done this job in my garage, $600 seems pretty reasonable to me as well).

Old 04-28-2010, 12:16 PM
2-Cups

Update:

The tensioner was bad, along with the belt, so it was changed.

We've discovered that the fuel regulator is not located under the intake as we thought, but included in the fuel tank. We havent removed the intake yet, but we're thinking it may be related to an injector. I'm just not sure where the fuel would be coming from under the intake, unless it is an injector...........any thoughts?

This could turn out to be the same as a squeaking noise in the floor of a house. I usually end up rebuilding from the front porch to the last board on the back porch, before I find that dag-gum rusted up bent nail that was causing the squeaking

2-Cups

Quick Reply: 96 Caravan 3.0 water pump