Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Transmission troubles...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 07:14 AM
kwandobe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission troubles...

I was wondering if someone may be able to help me. I have a 1996 Plymouth Voyager and lately have been experiencing some difficultys with the transmission. I have spoken with some friends on this and we all believe it may be a vacuum hose but I thought I should ask everyones opinion on this, maybe somebody has had similar trouble.

And so the story begins,

For about 2 weeks we have been hearing a strange noise which sounds like a gun going off only its muffled to an extreme, and just today while returning home from some errands did the transmission start to slip. When I stopped at the light everything seemed normal and when I took off from the light I noticed the car didnt want to move, it was stuck in second gear and didnt want to down-shift any further than second gear. It would shift into 3rd which is naturally O-D and would down-shift from 3rd to 2nd but wouldnt down-shift into 1st.

Well to try and make a long story short we got it home checked the fluid and added as needed, took off and had the same problem. So we came back home and parked it not figuring that it may be worse later, so 3 hours goes by and we decided to drive to the gas station for some milk and such. Started the car and it was actually in 1st gear when i placed it in drive, pulled out onto the street and accelerated only to find that 1st gear was our only drive gear now!

If you have any suggestions on what the problem may be please post here and let me know. Meanwhile I will try to get the codes from the computer to see if it can diagnose the problem.

Quick Reply: Transmission troubles...