Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

rack & pinion???

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 04:03 PM
bullheadpond
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rack & pinion???

I just got my 2008 caravan back from the mechanic.

This was what i took it there for. And they are saying a bad rack & pinion is causing the problems.

My 2008 caravan recenlty had a front end alignment and wheel bearing replaced and ever since we got it back it feels like something is loose or clunky in the front end. You can feel it in the steering and brake pedal when you hit certain bumps . It drives straight and is fine on smooth streets or highway. When my brother inlaw and i looked under neath i turned the wheel to the left and moved the steering wheel back and forth like 3-5 inches and he had his hand on the tire and could feel something popping as he had his had on the tire.

The steering seems very tight to me as far as if you turn just a little bit and the vehicle turns right away with no slop. i thought with a bad rack & pinion the steering wheel gets alot of play in it which is not the case with mine and it doesn't appear to be leaking.

any thoughts?

Old 06-24-2010, 08:15 PM
mfahey
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd start by taking it back and tell them to be sure the wheel bearing was properly torqued. Ask them why they feel it is the rack and pinion.

Quick Reply: rack & pinion???