Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

MPG calculator; how to use?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 03:23 PM
kellyllek
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MPG calculator; how to use?

I just picked up a 2005 Grand Caravan SXT. I was wondering how I use the mileage calculator functions in the above console? There seems to be 5 total buttons. I just reset the firest with initial fill-up and it's now showing the estimated MPG. But I've no idea what the rest of the buttons do?

Also Other questions: I have no center console on the floor. Is that normal and can I get one? There also looks to be the holes in the seats, even in the rear bucket seats, for mounting something, but again, no idea what? Maybe a cargo net?

I always wanted Stow'n Go and so far I'm very happy. The Van has quite a few miles on it at 123,000, but I got a 3 warranty from Diamond and may up it it for a multi year warranty. I hope the thing holds together. Right now it feels like a brand spanking new vehicle.

Couple more comments. I looked everywhere for Stow'N Go. It was funny because I'd see vans in the autotrader and from local dealers with stow'n go and no mention of it! It's like in some cases they had no idea. Even a couple places took upward of 30 photos and never showed the seats folded. Often I had to peer closely at the floor to see if the vehicle had it! When I did finally make the purchase the dealer had no care or concern that this one had it and the on their SX on his lot did not. (Same price I think!) Maybe it's just me who thinks stow'n go is da bomb!

Lastly, I don't have any floormats, condsole, cargo nets etc. Is there a place that retails all this after market to fit? Or do I just go to pep boys and get things off the shelf. While it's new I'd like to install a backup monitor and either a warning system or those tiny mirrors for the blind spots.

Old 07-03-2010, 03:55 PM
Yehoshua
Default Overhead console buttons

The overhead console has 5 buttons (9 on models with power doors and liftgate). Left to right:
• Metric-US conversion / Reset (for computer)
• HomeLink 1 - Program these buttons to operate garage door openers or other RF devices. Here's another thread on this or here.
• HomeLink 2
• HomeLink 3
• Cycle through computer / Compass-Temp

Computer has Distance to empty, Average MPG (base on last 20 miles, I believe), Engine time, and Distance traveled. All except Distance to empty can be reset using the Reset button. We usually reset everything every time we fill up.

Edit: Average MPG isn't based on last 20 miles traveled, it's the DTE. Distance to Empty is calculated based on your last 20 miles of MPG.

Last edited by Yehoshua; 07-04-2010 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:14 AM
internetauto

Originally Posted by Yehoshua
The overhead console has 5 buttons (9 on models with power doors and liftgate). Left to right:
• Metric-US conversion / Reset (for computer)
• HomeLink 1 - Program these buttons to operate garage door openers or other RF devices. Here's another thread on this or here.
• HomeLink 2
• HomeLink 3
• Cycle through computer / Compass-Temp

Computer has Distance to empty, Average MPG (base on last 20 miles, I believe), Engine time, and Distance traveled. All except Distance to empty can be reset using the Reset button. We usually reset everything every time we fill up.
on the older ones (94-97 at least) AVG MPG is reset when you use the reset function. It calculates AVG MPG total since last reset.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:52 AM
Yehoshua
Default MPG vs Avg MPG

Originally Posted by internetauto
on the older ones (94-97 at least) AVG MPG is reset when you use the reset function. It calculates AVG MPG total since last reset.
That's what I was describing. I know my parents' '97 Grand Caravan also has simply "MPG" which is a real-time readout of current MPG.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:35 PM
whodat

my automatic MPG is always about 2 miles per gallon higher than when I fugure it manually

Old 10-25-2010, 06:44 PM
LRevell
Thumbs up

I have the exact same van, but only had half the mileage on it - 65,000 when I bought it in February.
The Stow&Go is great! Gives me a nice eight foot cargo area to haul stuff, and I can camp and sleep in it! Being 6'4" that extra length really comes in handy! I am planning to remove the rearmost seats and make a carpeted cover for the cargo space. I am less enthusiastic about the spare tire location though, and that wee mini-spare......

On the computer, you will notice too that the "DTE" will vary by a few miles between checking in the cool morning and later in the hot afternoon - gas expands..... I think it ignores the 'reserve' gas too - running to nearly 'empty', I still can't fill it with more than 18 gallons - for a twenty gallon tank.
Mine has the back-up alarm - it sounds in high weeds too. AND.... really annoying..... it sounds with my 2.5" raised drawbar in place in the hitch! Whatever the sensor is, it sees the ball and sounds off when backing. I keep the drawbar off until I am towing.
One thing I have found with the MPG computer, if I zero it, it needs about 200 miles driven to even out, til then it cycles up and down between 17 and 24..... I always zero the Elapsed Time and Distance Travelled when I fill up.

This 3.8L engine is no slouch! A few cars trying to blast up my right side and cut in front of me have been shocked to be blown off by A MINIVAN! BWAHAHAHA!!!!
I call this baby the "Man's Minivan!"

Old 10-25-2010, 07:57 PM
mfahey
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree that you should take the calculated MPG with a grain of salt as should you with the DTE. The reason the DTE can be deceptive is if your fuel level sensor isn't accurate, neither will the DTE calculation.
Ask me how I know.

Quick Reply: MPG calculator; how to use?