Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

On The Brink of Insanity

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 11:37 AM
socadesertrat
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On The Brink of Insanity

You have seen me on here before - and the Problem is still with me!!

2001 Caravan Sport - now on our third instrument cluster replacement, direct from Chrysler. The reason it was changed out in the first place was that the brake light came on and sttayed on - the diode was bad for the ABS - so it was determied that we had to change the cluster.

We have tried another BCM and that made no difference in the symptoms. We are now back to the original BCM.

The cluster is either in one of the following three modes - with no predictability --
  • Functioning Normally
  • Totally "dead" nothing working and all cluster lights out including shift position indicator
  • Tach and speedo working, odometer indicator flashing intermittently, low fuel light flashing and fuel needle on E, open doors and open hatch lights on
There is no pattern to this except after sitting overnight it usually works fine. Then after it is driven in the morning and sits a while it begins to act up again.

Sometimes when the ignition key is removed all of the warning lights in the cluster will illuminate including the flashing low fuel light and then in about 30 seonds to a minute they will all go out.

All grounds in the dash area have been resurfaced and retightened, and I personally cleaned all battery connections, even using dielectric grease on the connections. Battery shows 12.5 volts with engine off.

The self programming has been run more than once.

Neither the dealer or independent shop have been able to solve this problem.

Thanks to those that have had suggestions in the past.

Any additional ideas would be more than welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:43 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check and see if any of the cluster connector terminals are spread making poor contact.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:47 PM
socadesertrat

Originally Posted by Tizzy1
Check and see if any of the cluster connector terminals are spread making poor contact.
Tizzy1 - I have always appreciated your professional insights. I will have this checked out. Thanks.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:44 PM
wgberry1

Edited... My suggestion has been tried.. Sorry to clutter your thread..

Last edited by wgberry1; 08-04-2010 at 03:55 PM.

Quick Reply: On The Brink of Insanity