Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

TPMS rebuild necessary when replacing tires?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 07:10 PM
danacat
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question TPMS rebuild necessary when replacing tires?

What do you guys think? Discount Tire wants to charge an extra 10.00 a tire to rebuild my TPMS sensors (replace gaskets?) as part of buying 4 new tires from them. They make it sound almost mandatory. My 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan has 33,000 miles on it, my first new tire purchase. The rep at Discount Tire was saying that when the tire is removed, something about the sensor has to stay with the tire so it doesn't get damaged, and that when removing and putting the sensor back the rubber seal can get a crack in it (since rubber dries and cracks over time, heat, etc), and that can lead to a leak in the valve. This is what I remember, details may be a little sketchy as I was having trouble paying attention as my eyes were glazing over with anxt at having to pay yet another 10.00 per tire (40.00 total) on top of everything else for buying new tires.
I'm all about safety, but is this really necessary, especially on a two year old vehicle at 33,000 miles? I ordered the tires, but have not had them installed yet? Would you guys do it?

Old 11-05-2010, 08:17 PM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they trying to upsale you stuff, there should not be any need to have anything rebuilt. the tmps is a piece that is connected to the valve stem, dont believe it has anything tied into the rubber itself. now there i assume might be a rubber o ring that seals the valve stem to rim which is what he might be saying to replace, then that could be a good thing to do as the tires are out and would not need to be redone if one leaks. i figuire his trying a. to make the extra 10. b. also trying to make sure that the tire possibly is sealed.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:22 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've done alot of tires on rims with tire pressure sensors and I've never had to remove the sensor to do it. You have to remember the people doing the work are probably not the highest qualilty and they have probably had issues with them breaking the sensors and having to buy new ones. So they probably make them remove them to keep them from getting broken. So if your removing them, you have to replace the nut that attaches them to the rim and the rubber seal. Our dealer price matches, maybe shop around alittle.

Quick Reply: TPMS rebuild necessary when replacing tires?