Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Transmission leak on cold

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 02:06 AM
nitink
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission leak on cold

2002 TC, AWD with 3.8L and 4speed auto

The transmission leaks oil only when van is cold and funny thing is it throws out 1 oz of oil when I start the van, and leaks come some where from transmission , motor connecting area.

This one baffled local dealers tech, couple of times, they put in dye but still couldn't figure out where leak is coming from.

I am wondering if any one have any suggestion

Old 05-01-2011, 10:14 AM
AmazeB
Default Transmission leak on cold

This post looks like it died. I am here to resurrect it.
I have a '06 Caravan and the same problem: tranny leak when it's cold. The fluid level is above the "hot" mark on the stick when cold, and drops to a little over "hot" when hot. I haven't had the tranny serviced recently, so I don't know how it could be high. I am only looking for the most logical problem, as I want to be ready if the dealer says it is a transmission change - not that they would say that. ;-)

Old 05-01-2011, 12:35 PM
nitink

In my case problem was in axle seal. As seals get old rubber get brittle and looses some small pieces. when hot rubber expand a bit and could cover leak.
This was very frustrating to locate, chrysler dealers could never diagnose it in multiple visits. but a local independent mechanic found and fixed the issue.

Seal it self was 15$ and mechanic charged me 3hr labor ( however all data shows only 1.5hr for the job).
Good luck

Quick Reply: Transmission leak on cold