Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 01:35 PM
KMonroe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leak

I have a 2006 Gr Caravan that is leaking coolant from 2 places. The first mechanic I took it to said I needed to replace the radiator, both hoses and the thermostat. I took it for a second opinion and that mechanic said the water pump needed to be replaced not the radiator. How do I know who to believe?

Old 11-19-2010, 01:45 PM
dakota_raven
Record Breaker

Take it to a 3rd mechanic and he should agree with one of the 1st two mechanics and go from there..

Old 11-19-2010, 06:35 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's alot of check out time to pay to keep taking it to new places. Chances are pretty good that they are both right. The hoses and thermostat probably aren't leaking, some mechanics like to replace them when they have them apart already. The water pumps are huge issues on the minivans, I have 130K on my '03 and I think I'm on my 3rd one. I also replace my fair share of radiators on them, there is a cooler between the radiator and the condenser. It breaks away from the mounting brackets and bangs against the radiator until it makes a hole. I guess it's never a sure bet who's doing their job and who's trying to screw you over. Good luck.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:25 PM
sapporo
Banned

for even less money, time and aggravation, you can buy (or maybe rent) a coolant pressure tester. then you can pressurize your cooling system and you can find the leak. get yourself a mirror and flash light to see in confined areas.

Quick Reply: Coolant leak