Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

transmission drain

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 11:15 AM
papaduck
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission drain

I want to replace some of the trans fluid in my '04 van without dropping the pan but can't remember which line is the return line from the radiator. How can I identify the correct line?

Old 12-14-2010, 03:36 PM
lovvorn
Banned
Default Bubbles !

Hi , I would think" the top trans fluid line " on the radiator would be the return line because of air or bubbles . Remove the fluid with an empty gallon jug to gauge the how much you take out .Loosen the line an have the wife ready to stop the engine just before it gets about 3 quarts to prevent spills . Refill the same amount of fluid with the engine running . My thoughts Lovvorn , Dodge Caravan S. E. Born June 2010 # 648057

Old 12-14-2010, 10:55 PM
trophyslayer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you could try and suck the fluid out of the fill tube with a oil extractor if you don't want to change the filter, do it a few times every 100miles or so and you will get a high % of new fluid int

Last edited by trophyslayer; 12-14-2010 at 10:58 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:03 AM
papaduck
Professional

Got the job done and found out which line is the return. It is the one closest to the engine on the transmission. I removed the line and put a length of hose on the barbs and placed the end of both hoses in a bottle. This way I was sure to catch the fluid regardless of which line was the return line.

Quick Reply: transmission drain