Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Timing belt question for 2004 Dodge Caravan

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 11:29 PM
oneaokguy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing belt question for 2004 Dodge Caravan

Hi,

2004 Dodge Caravan 3.3l V6

I'm trying to confirm if my research is correct that the 2004 Dodge Caravan I own has a chain timing belt? I can't find any reference to replacement of the timing belt in the owners manual for this size engine and some other forums had mentioned this model had a chain belt? If true, when do you need to worry about replacementr and also is this size engine an interference or non interference engine meaning if the timing belt breaks could some damage occur where the piston could hit some values?

Thanks

Old 01-03-2011, 03:18 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a timing chain, which is a chain and a timing belt, which is a belt like the serpentine drive belt. The 3.3l has a timing chain, unless it is noisy, there is no maintenance on it.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:09 PM
TJeepman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oneaokguy
Hi,

2004 Dodge Caravan 3.3l V6

I'm trying to confirm if my research is correct that the 2004 Dodge Caravan I own has a chain timing belt?

Thanks
The news is good. There's no external belt to replace often along with the water pump at the same time. That's expensive.

You have a timing chain which is inside the engine and requires no maintenance, likely for the life of the vehicle. Keep your oil level up where it should be and change your oil on a regular basis and your engine should be fine.

For more info on the 3.3L/3.8L engine, click here. http://www.allpar.com/mopar/33.html

Quick Reply: Timing belt question for 2004 Dodge Caravan