Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

when upgrading shocks and struts:?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 10:33 PM
GAU-8
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default when upgrading shocks and struts:?

Have any of you upgraded the suspension to something better than stock?

Although my 96 isn't quite bottoming out yet, its harsh over a lot of bumps/rr tracks. Plus there is the body roll.

I am not looking for racer/monster-jam over engineered stiff setup, but something more than a soft, and quickly overloaded set up. firm, yet still soaks uproad irregularities without the "up-n-down" ship at sea, settling that I have now.

With 260K miles, not sure what a stock caravan feels like, so I am a little leary at getting parts that are OEM, or comperable, at autozone/pep boys/advanced auto and such.

If this helps, looking for "a great value" for the price, even if its on the lower end of the spectrum..

Old 02-05-2011, 08:34 PM
BlaineM
Amateur

I have a '96 GC with 273K kms. I consider it a pretty smooth/comfortable riding vehicle. It has been maintained by the dealer since new so probably has stock suspension. I haven't had it long, so I can't comment on how it rides in the rough, but it does seems to suck up frost heaves and RR tracks quite well. Certainly doesn't toss me around on the road like my pick-up. If your suspension is clunking when you hit small bumps, you should check the sway bar bushings. They are cheap and fairly easy to replace and seem to be a common wear item on these vans.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:02 PM
GAU-8

Ok, that may be the problem...anytime I go over anything, the suspensions feels ok (not bottoming out) but there is a lot of shuddering going on.. thx for the heads up!

Quick Reply: when upgrading shocks and struts:?