Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

More transmission issues! 1996 GC 3.3

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 09:34 PM
wtribeflyer
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More transmission issues! 1996 GC 3.3

Hello people. New to the forum. I just picked up a nice 1996 GC 3.3 that I bought with known trans issues. After reading through this forum and allpar.com articles I have learned alot. I would really like a couple of expert opinions before I just dive in and have the tranny rebuilt. This van came out of the Bay area of CA. 116k original miles,super clean. But....has trans issues. The battery has been dead for quite some time now so no CEL showing. When shifter goes in reverse there is no noise and no movment. I was able to get the van to drive forward 100 feet or so and it felt somewhat normal. I was in D. When I stopped to go out of the driveway, it would go no more. Later was able to get D to engage again but didn't drive it again. Should I change the solenoid body and solenoids and do a filter/flush with ATF+4 or do you think it is a basket case and just rebuild the trans.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:43 PM
22DODGE22
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No reverse is definitely an internal problem. Most likely the reverse input clutches are fried. Especially in the Bay area with all the hills. Anyone backing up one of these vans on those hills can expect that the clutches won't last long.
There are only 2 little clutches used for reverse. My brother lived in Berkely and he had the same problems with his 1994 van burning up rev clutches. Then he bought a toyota and never had a problem again.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:21 PM
wtribeflyer
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. So you think a rebuild is in order? Couldn't be solenoid pack and or something easier?

Old 03-07-2011, 10:47 PM
22DODGE22
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

disconnect the solenoid pack and put it in reverse. if you still have no movement, the pack isn't the issue. You can install a pressure gage on the reverse port and see if you're getting 200+ psi then you know the pack is working, and the clutch piston is working.

Quick Reply: More transmission issues! 1996 GC 3.3