Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Sigh... 98 Caravan - Please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 06:28 PM
alexkharden
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sigh... 98 Caravan - Please help

My girlfriend has a 98 Grand Caravan. Last night we went out to dinner and the store. Started and drove fine with no problems. Haven't been having any problems with it at all. Then, today we go hop in to go somewhere and...

It started, then died immediately. Started then died again. Two more times it did this. Now, it wont even turn over at all. No clicking, no nothing. All the windows, radio, lights, wiper, heater, etc seem to work just fine. It just won't turn over or start.

Any ideas where to begin? I checked the fuses and I made sure the battery cables were tightly connected. Now I just sit in the drivers seat and sigh deeply. We just spent 1500 to have the transmission rebuilt, and now this. Someone help please.

Thank you everyone.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:44 PM
alexkharden
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wtf?!?!?

Ok, so I've been in and out of that van all day trying to start it. Last time was 45 minutes ago. I came in the house, searched the problem for a while and then went back out there to try this flexplate thing I read on this forum. I turned the key to release the transmission lock and all the dash lights came on. They weren't doing that before. So I decided what the hell, and turned the key all the way. The SOB started up and ran and drove just freaking fine.

So now I'm sighing profoundly because I still need to figure out what's wrong. It's nice that it started and all, but I can't have a vehicle that will start when and if it wants to, and only then. I can't have my girlfriend or kids stranded in BFE because of a finicky van, you know?

So I still need some help and ideas please. What's wrong with this sucker?

Thanks everyone!

Old 03-27-2011, 09:09 PM
trophyslayer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how old is the battery?

if 3years or older could just be that

when my battery died on my jeep the last time, I could start it, then it would die inless I held the gas pedal down, new battery all better

if you don't want to buy another battery, and you have another vehicle you could try swapping batterys

Old 03-27-2011, 10:00 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When you start it, and dies, does it just shuts off or does it "try to" stay running, and then quit?

maybe Fuel pump goes bad? any Check engine light?

Old 03-28-2011, 01:42 AM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can imagine the feeling. Sounds like you are loosing all electrical power correct? First thing that comes to mind are the battery cables. Take a close look at the smaller cable that comes off the positive battery connection and follow it to the PDC. Try a power on shake test watching for any indications of power loss. These cables have been known to corrode internally. Try the same test on the PDC connections. If you aren't loosing power the security system engine immobilzer if equipped would be next. It will typically kill the engine within seconds of starting. It may have somehow activated or malfunctioned.

Try the key cycle to read your codes or head to an Autozone or the like and they will read them for free using a scanner.

Last edited by Cougar41; 03-28-2011 at 01:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Sigh... 98 Caravan - Please help