Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

no spark; frustrated??? Please Help???

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 03:53 AM
cooksrus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question no spark; frustrated??? Please Help???

I have a 97 caravan sport 3.3 Liter w/ A/C, when starting the engine after long drive engine seemed to kick back on starter and longer to start then the check engine light came on. Went to O'Rileys Auto Parts to scan; OBDII reader code P0340 "Camshaft Position Sensor A S=Circuit (Bank 1 or single sensor)" Freeze frame data
- Fuel System 1 (Open Loop; Calculated Load 0.0%)
- Engine Coolant Temp 222'F STFT Bank 1 0.0%
- LTFT Bank 1 0.0%
- Intake Manifold Pressure 26.8 in hg
- Engine RPM (000 RPM)
- Vehicle Speed 0 MPH

- I decided to change the Cam Sensor (from O'Rileys) then, when I went to start it after engine would crank over but no firing
- Then changed the coil pack (from O'Rileys), no spark at plug wires
- Then Changed the Crank sensor (from O'Rileys), no spark

- Fuel pump is engaging; relay also engages
- tested Auto shut down and fuel relays for resistance(checked out fine)
- no power on B+ at Primary on the coil
- good continuity on wire from B+ to PCM connector
- 30 & 86 are live 12volt at power centre to the relay plug.

I do not know what to test next...
Did I get a faulty sensor? is there any way of test with a multimeter?
Is the PCM faulty?

Old 04-25-2011, 09:24 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

On the freeze frame it reads 0 RPM. I bet you threw the timing chain OR the pin in the crank or cam sprocket sheared off OR the flexplate has separated on the center. What do you mean by primary on the coil? Are you saying you have no ASD voltage? The control circuits won't show voltage unless cranking. IF the cam/crank are out of sync, you won't get anything. The PCM won't ground them.

Last edited by TNtech; 04-25-2011 at 09:26 AM.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:19 PM
cooksrus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry what I meant by the primary coil is also known as the primary side of the coil(where the small connector is for the coil B+, cyl 3/6, cyl, 1/4, and cyl 2/5). I also tried with a test light and voltmeter to see if there is power running to the coil from the PCM while the engine was cranking. [There should be power feeding while the engine is cranking] Also, there does not seem to be any kickback on the starter right now while you are cranking the engine, and never actually heard any weird sounds.
The other thought I had last night was the temp sensor had 222'F on the freeze frame, is that because the engine was turned off for about 3-4 minutes before the "kick back" on the starter while starting when the light came on(when the code would have been set). We still drove another 5 minutes before I got to the parts store to purchase and install the cam sensor.

Poss. related...
the van previously would have issues when driving for the first 15-20 min. of the day would stall at red lights unless in neutral or park, or sometimes the rpm would surge to almost stall while idilling. [if it would stall the cruise light would come on as well as oil pressure lamp but never set a code prior almost like the computer would reboot], also for first 15-20 minutes would surge occasionally like missing on highway.

Quick Reply: no spark; frustrated??? Please Help???